Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I just don’t know?!?!

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 164
100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

Enjoying dinner with former work friends tonight! Oh my such a wonderful, full of belly laughs time. Paying bill, ready to go and friend says isn’t that your husband coming over? Well I was dumbfounded! Apparently he was sitting at the bar drank not sure if he ate and staggered over when he was leaving! Friends were great but I was embarrassed on many levels!! How did he find his keys? Needless to say the evening did not end as I excepted. Feeling guilty, angry, sad helpless.

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh my! I always say, dementia is a trickster. I have seen my DH do things that I would not have believed had I not seen it myself.

And at least 1 thing that I know he accomplished but I STILL can’t figure out how he did it. Anyway, how lucky that something horrible didn’t happen with him driving(?) and also under the influence of alcohol. Sounds like a warning shot across the bow. You will have to rethink security and also supervision.

• JC5

Doesn’t this disease keep us on our toes! Once you think you have a handle on things something happens to upset the apple cart!

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@JC5

I am so sorry. That must've been a real shock for you.

Just before dad was diagnosed, he did something similar. He would sundown in the evenings and fight with my mom who, absent an understanding of dementia, would ignore him and go to bed. More than once in the weeks before the other shoes dropped she awoke to dad having conversations with random strangers in her house around 2am after the bars closed. Twice it was a Good Samaritan couple who drove him and once it was the bartender and one of the servers who drove his car home for him.

HB

• JC5

I’m so sorry! Oh my! I can’t even imagine! As I said this disease is ever changing and it is terrible for all involved!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more