Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Recent Diagnosis

2»

Comments

• Stauffer
    Stauffer Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

So I was diagnosed in April MCI w/Alz pathology. Organizing things is hard and my memory is not reliable. We're doing the legal updates, looking at long term care solutions so I have input while I can. I'm doing some advocacy and trying to get some bucket lists organized, wrote a few post mortem letters for my daughter (for her life events after I'm gone), took a class series in local resources, retired from my primary job (I'm 54). My husband has been great, but my anxiety is that he won't be able to cope when things get harder (he left his dad in a less than ideal situation) . I'm trying to get into a study and there are only a few hoops left (soon). I wish I had a better estimate of time and capacity along the way, but the individual differences are a lot (both my parents died of Alzheimers… I know it well).

• ricardo
    ricardo Member Posts: 189
    100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I’m doing good. Just finished a novel. First one I’ve read in quite awhile as I don’t normally read novels. I read historical books.

• ricardo

anyone around?

• ricardo

Good AM

• ricardo

Anyone around?

• llkahl
    llkahl Member Posts: 6
    First Comment

I got my mild to moderate Alzheimer's diagnosis 2 days ago. While I've been seeing a neurologist for over 2years, this information comes at the culmination of a series of tests and therapies. Now that we have this wonderful news, my wife and I are buckling in for the remainder of this road trip. Unfortunately we know the destination, now we need to find the route best suited for us and our family. We are meeting with our estate attorney and financial advisor next month. We currently have all of our affairs in order, but need to confirm that we aren't neglecting anything. My wife will be contacting several LO's acquaintances to hear their stories.

I am on Memantine and Donepezil. Fortunately I am tolerating them fine. They have improved my clarity, memory, energy and motivation. So for now all is well, chugging right along, wishing that I didn't have this disease. However at 72 I am realizing I have been blessed to be here, and do not take that lightly. My goal is to get through this with no regrets and no destruction of my relationships with family and friends. Updates as needed. God bless.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more