Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Bed wetting

I’m new to the group and appreciate any help. My husband is in mid to late dementia. He now wears depends day and night, but frequently goes to the toilet during the day to use it. Mostly successfully. At night he has been waking up at 2 or 3am with his pjs wet in back. I use a pad over the sheet and that is frequently wet too. Any suggestions? We use overnight depends l

Comments

• Lkrielow99
    Lkrielow99 Member Posts: 57
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary

Welcome to the group. My DH is in the same place. Although he has had more frequent accidents in the daytime as well. I ordered a mattress encasement from Amazon to help preserve our mattresses. I put the pad between the bottom sheet and the encasement. Another pad on top is a good idea. I have an extra sheet ready to change. I’m sure others with more experience will comment. This is a relentless disease. Much love to you, you are not alone.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 439
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I'd recommend looking at products other than Depends. You may need to try a few different ones to find what works best for your situation. There are many that absorb more. There are ones that promote good skin health. They also have boosters which can be placed in the Depends like product that will increase how much it absorbs. As recommended, a mattress protector and washable and disposable bed pads will help.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Please get a 6 sided waterproof mattress cover. Then use the pads. I found a crib sized waterproof pad worked the best.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

I use waterproof mattress cover, large pad on top of that, then sheet, another pad, then this on top layer:

The pads alone do not stay put as he moves around. I bought this on Amazon and it has made handling bed wetting accidents (he wears diaper) so much easier.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Thank you all so so much for this info. I am not there yet with my DH, but this information is so valuable for all of us.

• CampCarol
    CampCarol Member Posts: 58
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

@Caro_Lynne

I had no idea a "tuckable" mattress pad existed, I think this will make my life a lot easier. Thank you for sharing!

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 345
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

sarabazer, welcome to the group. You will find so much good information here.

Depends never worked well for us other than in the very early days when I was checking him every hour or so. Here’s what we do:

We use a good quality pair of soft comfortable pull-ups and add a heavy duty pad to the inside. The pad is a thick one, the type designed for women after childbirth. It has a sticky backing that keeps it in place in the pull-up. If we check every couple hours hurting the day, we can often replace just the pad. At night I poke about 6 little holes in the sticky backing of the pad before placing it in the pull-up. The sticky backing keeps it in place. That way, when the pad gets saturated it leaks down into the pull-up where it is absorbed, rather than over the sides.

We use large washable soft pad that has a moisture proof barrier in it on the bed. On top of that we use an extra large puppy pee pad. We usually have a couple small wet spots on the pee pad in the morning, but not often on the washable pad. In the 3+ years of urinary incontinence, we’ve never had it reach the fitted bed sheet. My DH sleeps on his back and barely moves during the night so that probably helps. He also sleeps all night. Hope this helps you.

• kjlalz
    kjlalz Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

I agree with using heavy duty overnight briefs along with the heavy duty pad. Plus a waterproof pad between the mattress and mattress pad. Recently my DH has started leaking out of his briefs. Sometimes twice a night. Going to try poking little holes in the sticky backing to see if that works. Plus I’ve ordered a waterproof ‘skirt ‘ that he can sleep in to try to protect the top sheet too. Very tired of washing bedding every day.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Honestly this is the hardest thing for me to deal with. Men are tricky with the disposable underwear. The wrong angle creates a mess. I use the washable pads and rarely have urine get to the sheet below. Definitely going to look for that tuckable pad.

We use the McKesson pull ups (hospice provides them). Great for the day. They absorb a lot but, if he sleeps on his side, all bets are off.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

The pad we use on top of the bed sheet is a Kanech 44x52 5 layer washable pad. I haven’t ever had wetness go through it with the puppy pad on top. Bought it on Amazon. I have a few but don’t often need to change them. The pull-ups with the heavy duty pad catch 95% of the moisture.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more