Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What do you say? Suggestions?

Belle60
Belle60 Member Posts: 46
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

As more family and friends learn of DH's disease, I have experienced an increase in the question: "How is he doing?" I am really at a lost as to how to answer this question. I want to say how do you think he's doing with this terrible disease- with a sarcastic tone but of course I do not. I usually say he is doing ok and change the subject. Someone will occasionally ask me how I am doing and I say I'm ok. It is really difficult to describe how we are both doing and I am at lost as to what to say.

I am looking for suggestions on how to deal with this question. I dont want to be rude but I honestly don't know how to respond.

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I get same question, I say holding her own , or it’s a day by day experience.

• Belle60

Yea I have said we are taking day by day too!

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I noticed this question comes up quite a bit on here.
    For me, it depends on who asked the question as to how I feel about them asking that question

if it’s someone that I talked to frequently who I feel does truly care about me and my family the question doesn’t bother me. Like you, though I still find that question very hard to answer. I usually just say about the same or it’s challenging something to that effect.

if it’s someone I never talk to and rarely see but I know them, that’s when the question bothers me more. I try to think of it as they don’t really know what to say to you so they say how is your mom doing? It’s an easy out for them. Hopefully it’s an innocent question and I usually just say she’s OK .

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Just because someone asks, it doesn't mean they're entitled to an answer. I'm in the "We're hanging in there" camp for most people unless I know them well and they truly care about us. Many people are asking just to be polite. For those who know me a little better it's "He has his good days and not-so-good days." Only those who I know who truly care and will truly understand get the full picture.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

or "how much time to you have for my answer"…..

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I tell them the truth - he is declining to the point where his speech is difficult, he is confused almost all of the time and is struggling to grasp what is happening. That answer usually stops the conversation. It also lets them know in case they try to talk to him or misunderstand something. In the absence of information, people usually come up with their own conclusions.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I never take the question as a personal afront. Yes, it’s difficult to answer honestly, so most of us give a “Pat” answer. For me, it’s worse if someone doesn’t ask, or even acknowledge there is an issue. I like to think people mean well. For the most part, I say “his short term memory is shot to hell, but otherwise we are doing ok.” And then I change the subject.

• Roberto Parmigiani
    Roberto Parmigiani Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    En general evitan molestarme con la pregunta, o la mayoría quizá no sientan real motivación para hacerlo. Cuando lo hacen me esfuerzo por narrar la verdad como forma de compartir mi sufrimiento
  • fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Per Google Translate:

In general they avoid bothering me with the request, or most people will find there is no real motivation to do so. When I do it I force myself to tell the truth as a way to share my needs

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I usually keep it short. I tell people it's awful, DW is not doing well and is progressing, but somehow we both get up each day and make it through it.

• Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I've been known to say, The disease is progressing more quickly then I'd want and I'm exhausted.

• Buggytoo
    Buggytoo Member Posts: 73
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I often say "hanging in there but this isn't easy for either of us."

• orth
    orth Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I say that it is like the man who jumped off a 29 story building as he passed each floor, so far so good.

• Belle60

I know. I think that is what trips me up. Not sure how to explain what is it like.

• Belle60

That is a good response. I just get tripped up by the question. I had one person ask me if DH was getting better. So obviously they did not understand what the disease is about.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I've just quit trying. Unless someone has shown that they want genuine information and can provide genuine support I'm just saying, "He's fine." Having a pat answer means I don't have to think about it, and it avoids the pushback I receive if I include any reality in my response.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more