Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Cups and silverware

mrsabaldwin
mrsabaldwin Member Posts: 43
10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Looking for recommendations on cups and silverware for my mother. Mom opens every cup I have purchased. She flips, twists, pops….whatever it takes to get the lid off. Not entirely sure why she’s focused on that but I was hoping there are some recommendations on mugs or cups etc.

Silverware- I have seen adaptable silverware online but am looking for any recommendations or experiences using them before purchasing.

Thanks friends!

Tagged:

Comments

• mrsabaldwin

Thank you for sharing! I will definitely try clear plastic glasses. Ironically she can drink Pepsi just fine. Twists the lid open and puts it back on easily and consistently. But anything else and she’s obsessed with taking the lid off. Always spills it on herself.

I did not think of cushion tubes for silverware. That’s a great idea!!

• Lynn24
    Lynn24 Member Posts: 82
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

My mother moved in with us at the age of 77, she is now 79. She exhibited many types of repetitive behaviors such as taking things out of cabinet in kitchen, moving throw pillows from room to room, taking food items out of pantry. Sometimes she would open items and spill them all over the floor. Seroquel prescription has helped over the past 6 months and she no longer moves everything around. I give her old cookbooks to keep her hands busy. She tears out pages and I believe that she thinks she is actually cooking those items in her mind.

• Anonymousjpl123
    Anonymousjpl123 Member Posts: 680
    500 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

My mom’s place has silverware but only very dull butter knives. I must confess, a lot of people (including my mom) sometimes find it easier to skip it. But it is nice and important to have the full place setting.

In terms of cups, they use mugs and clear glasses. Nothing with a lid. My mom loved coffee as do I and I now just tell them to fill it half way or I tip it out before bringing to her, because she pulls the tops off everything too.

• mrsabaldwin

I have tried serving her coffee just as you suggested but she either ends of kicking it over or dumps the whole thing. I have started cueing her to sit upright and leave the lid on. This helps some but if I turn around she slumps to the right and pours the coffee down her face and shirt try8ng to drink it that way.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,398
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

if she can handle Pepsi bottles, save the empty’s, rinse them out. Reuse them for whatever. Yes, maybe it’s not 100% healthy etc… but at this point, whatever works.

• mrsabaldwin

I like that idea. She definitely can open and drink from a Pepsi bottle. What I have discovered is that she will lean way over to the right in her chair and then spills her coffee on herself when trying to drink. I have tried every sort of mug with and without lids etc. This morning I helped her sit up in the middle of her recliner. She took a drink from her Terri’s coffee mug with lid and did not spill any coffee. Seconds later she was back to leaning over to the right. I reminded her that she will need to sit upright to drink her coffee. She told me that she couldn’t help it, leaning over in her chair is comfortable.

I don’t see how. It looks completely uncomfortable. This is just what it is, I guess. I shouldn’t expect too much from her. Yesterday she told me she was waiting for someone to show up and collect the dead body in her room. And I’m over here trying to solve her coffee drinking problem.

• mrsabaldwin

My mom always loved looking at cookbooks. That’s a great idea!

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@mrsabaldwin said:

I like that idea. She definitely can open and drink from a Pepsi bottle.

This is a great idea. Sometimes muscle memory persists and can be used as a work-around.

What I have discovered is that she will lean way over to the right in her chair and then spills her coffee on herself when trying to drink. I have tried every sort of mug with and without lids etc. This morning I helped her sit up in the middle of her recliner. She took a drink from her Terri’s coffee mug with lid and did not spill any coffee. Seconds later she was back to leaning over to the right. I reminded her that she will need to sit upright to drink her coffee. She told me that she couldn’t help it, leaning over in her chair is comfortable.

The tendency to lean is not unusual in dementia. You may need to supervise her drinking if it's extreme enough to interfere with swallowing.

Dad liked to recline on his sofa during his waking hours. He wanted to eat and drink in that position which was not safe as the disease progressed. Spatial reasoning and executive function can play into this. I watched dad try to pick up a stemmed wine glass from an end table behind his head and attempt drink from it while lying down. He never figured out why he ended up wet. Sometimes he blamed mom or me for spilling it on him.

Hb

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney