Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I learned a new word today - anosodiaphoria

This means that a person is aware of their disorder, but they don't care. It's more common in people with brain injuries and frontotemporal lobe dementia. Anosognosia means that they are unaware of their condition or can't acknowledge how serious it is.

The literature says that it's sometimes difficult to distinguish between the two. My question is, does it really matter?

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I suppose it would make it easier to talk in front of them. Otherwise, not much.

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I began to speak openly about my hubby's Alzheimer's when it became clear that he no longer understood what I was talking about.

• elainechem

I think that this lack of energy is common to anyone who is dealing with a chronic medical condition. And you've been dealing with a lot for a long time. 💓

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I'm so sorry you're having to go through all of this, Iris.

@elainechem It mattered for me - it meant that my sister Peggy and I could discuss her situation, at least for a time. Peggy had Alzheimer's and FTD, so I was able to discuss both of those things with her until she was about 3/4 of the way through stage 5. As to whether or not she "cared" … She was afraid that we would all leave her and she'd be left to fend for herself, but she never looked up Alzheimer's or FTD to see what either of those diseases were about. I'd say she accepted her diagnosis, and was afraid, but I'm not sure that's the same thing as "cared." But yeah, her knowing that she had Alzheimer's and FTD gave me some time to gather all legal documents, and get her input (like for putting together her will) without freaking her out.

Until 3/4 of the way through stage 5, she would sometimes ask me if something she was experiencing was an "Alzheimer's thing." I'd respond with a "yes" or "no." Our arrangement was that I wouldn't offer information unless she asked me about it.

• elainechem

It's great that your sister had some awareness about what was happening. My hubby had anosognosia from the start. I could never discuss it with him or he would become furious. It was heartbreaking. My beloved husband had a terminal illness which would eventually end his life but I was never able to have a conversation with him about it. I had to guess what he wanted at the end - burial or cremation, what kind of service, etc. He had younger onset AD and we had never had a talk about those issues.

My brother is still in the MCI phase of AD, probably. Sometimes MCI stays the same or improves. But he has no self-awareness. All of his tests of memory were in the 1st to 3rd percentile. Basically, he can't remember that he can't remember. But, at least, caring for my husband taught me how to care for my brother.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

@Iris L. I think doctors use labels like that when they don't have answers. It's too hard for them to say they don't know, so they say it's all the patient's fault.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited August 25

You could be right, Sandwichone.

Iris.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Early onset is so very difficult, @elainechem . I'm so sorry about your husband, and now your brother. It really is heartbreaking.

My sister was also early onset. She was diagnosed one month before her 59th birthday. I spoke with her ex-manager on the phone during lockdown and she told me that Peggy had been showing symptoms (again, in hindsight) as early as late 2010-early 2011, so Peggy would have been about 52.

Peggy didn't develop anosognosia until almost mid-way through stage 6, maybe even a tad later. Maybe that was the influence of the FTD? Who knows though. FTD is a different beast.

• ricardo
    ricardo Member Posts: 189
    100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I’m a new member with very few symptoms which I’m fortunate for

• Amelia F McNeely
    Amelia F McNeely Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

My daughter has been diagnosed with early onset. She's 55 and has had MCI since she was in her late 40's. She doesn't want this disease and I think most of the time pretends she doesn't have it. She says she wants to die. She has good days and bad days regarding communication. She can't handle her finances. Getting her interested in doing anything is difficult. Any ideas? I'll ask her to put napkins at each person's place and she puts them all at hers. Her executive function is pretty much gone. She loves golden retrievers and had four of them. Now she fixates on dog sites and watches dog videos all the time.

I'm unclear on what to expect. Day cares don't seem to fit her need. Everyone is so much older and most of them live in their own world. I'd like to find a place that has classes - like a school - to keep her moving and interested. When and why do you place a person in a memory care facility?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more