Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Shivering and shaking

DH is lounging next to me and sort of trembling, shivering or shaking so hard.

I asked if he was cold, earlier and he said yes (it’s hot in here) but I put a blanket on him & he went to sleep. But now the shaking is back.

Hospice on-call nurse said he’s not likely in pain which we are watching… especially his crumbling teeth.

It’s scaring me. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Comments

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Is he running a fever? Has he been checked for a UTI? Twice in recent weeks DH has done the same thing, and we never did figure out what was wrong (no UTI). The hospice nurse had no explanation. I agree it's frightening to watch.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@ButterflyWings

My dad had this symptom. For him it was actually evident in the early middle stages and characteristic of his alcohol-related dementia which impacted the part of the brain that regulates temperature fairly early on. In people with Alzheimer's this can also happen, but it's typically more of a late stage symptom and may be complicated by significant weight loss. I can recall times when dad would wake on a warm muggy July day in coastal MD and crank the heat up to 85F— at 75F he would start to shiver. At the time, I put this down to wanting to avoid my visits and scrutiny. This was also around the time he started to decamp to his winter digs in FL the day after Halloween instead of having Christmas with family in PA.

We managed with blankets and throws— down was especially nice because it's light. He liked to wear fleece vests year-round. Sometimes we supplemented with a small space heater.

HB

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 25

Thank you both. @fmb no fever, but his temp was 1 degree below his normal, and he did just clear a uti. Sitting all day in soaked unders too many times, while I tried to work the last couple of weeks.

@harshedbuzz he did just have significant weight loss— after a couple of days with the latest agency aide at my house. She apparently didn’t feel he needed to eat 🤬.

I did bundle him up.and our hospice on call the other night suggested it is a combo physical and mental / emotional triggers likely. The temp regulation you mentioned and recent UTI, and she suspected some anxiety due to overstimulation from the revolving door of HHAs, and the physical roller coaster they caused with lower standard of care (feeding, toileting, kindness, etc).

She said his nervous system & brain processing was likely on overload and that his Seroquel would help. It did! I added a dose immediately and in a little while he relaxed visibly. The wild tremors slowed down. After a nap they disappeared almost completely.

There was a very brief glimpse yesterday and again today, interestingly both times when a new person came over (nurse) and (latest new) caregiver. Sigh. Poor guy.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

@ButterflyWings my husband has that for short periods sometimes, but more like just shakiness rather than trembling. Covering him up, even if the room is warm seems to help. It lasts maybe an hour or so. Temperature is always normal. Sitting next to him and holding his hand seems to help. Sometimes I think it might be fear?
    He has become extremely shaky and having extreme difficulty walking in the past couple days, to the point where I’m afraid he may become bed bound. He barely talks, not even whispers anymore, so hard to tell. He’s been eating pretty well with my hand feeding, but takes about 2 hours to get a meal into him. Problems with teeth here too.
    He’s not on Hospice yet because I’m afraid they would change the Risperidone, which is the one thing that seems to help. I desperately need to talk to someone who has experience with caring for a LO at home.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH did the shaking when he had a UTI a couple of different times, but he didn't really have much of a fever. Just something to get checked out.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Go to the “Groups” Section. A topic was recently started “Caring at home for late stage Alzheimer’s and Dementia.” I check that group often because I am hoping and praying I’ll be able to care for my DH at home (with hospice help). Any questions would be appreciated so we can all learn from these conversations.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

oops! I see you already go to the topic I mentioned. Thanks!!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more