Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Air Tag

Rvk
Rvk Member Posts: 9
5 Likes First Comment

My DW has been showing signs of memory loss for 3+ years and continues to decline. We were gifted air tags last Christmas so I set them up and placed one in her purse (she does not carry a phone and would not know what to do with it), and included children in the connections.

This last Sunday afternoon we took our usual afternoon drive and stopped at a convenience store. I'm usually good at checking to make sure she has her purse when we stop but just didn't this time. And of course when we got home her purse was not in the car. After a bit of scrambling and trying unsuccessfully to call the store, we climbed back in the car for the 40 minute drive. I remembered the air tag and called my daughter. She was able to use the "Find My" app and locate the purse - at the store where we left it. What a relief! The staff was not aware until we arrived, but her purse was still in the bathroom.

That air tag was a godsend!

Comments

• michiganpat
    michiganpat Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

Makes me want to purchase air tags. Seriously, I am going to check them out. Thanks for posting. What a relief for you!

• WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 103
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments

I have an AirTag bracelet for my DH that looks like a watch band. He wears it without pushback. It gives a great deal of anxiety relief because I can track him easily. I highly recommend one.

• Rvk
    5 Likes First Comment

I didn't know they made a bracelet. Thanks

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Are air tags only from Apple?

• Belle60
    Belle60 Member Posts: 46
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I have used one for my DH when we travel. You can buy holders for them so I bought one that clips to his belt. He doesn't like but will wear it. We got separated in the airport once and he got lost. It scared me so now he wears one for the airport and when we travel in unfamiliar places.

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 236
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

I’ve been meaning to get something like this. I bought the air tags already.

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 236
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

Air tags are an Apple product and you’ll need an iCloud login to track them, either in an iPhone or you can log-in to iCloud from any computer. I think you can get an iCloud account for free.

• Rvk
    5 Likes First Comment

I'm told that there are similar products and apps available for other manufacturers like Samsung.

• debriesea
    debriesea Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I have an air tag on the back of my DH phone and another that is shaped like a credit card in his wallet. At this point in time he always needs his phone, wallet and keys. (He doesn’t drive anymore).
    My family is using the Life360 app which is also good for tracking.

• RayeMc
    RayeMc Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

They are from Apple but I recently received a notice that my android tablet can now connect up with Find My Device. Mercifully my DH's car, which had a hidden airtag, has been sitting in the garage undriven for so long the battery is now dead. Therefore, I have not tried to use my android tablet to track him so I cannot verify how well it would work.

• hiya
    hiya Member Posts: 63
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I have Apple air tags on my DH house keys and wallet. He constantly loses both these items and being able to find them easily around the house has saved so much time and stress!!! They are simple to use and track. Initially I tried ‘Tiles’ and they were not as user friendly.
    Apple tags are easy to set up and if you need help, they will help you set them up and show you how to use them if yr near an Apple Store

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thanks for the info about where to get an Air Tag!

Iris

• Rvk
    5 Likes First Comment

Yes, the Air Tag is an Apple product. Works great with my iPhone but I don't think it works with other providers, who might have similar versions of the same thing

• billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    edited August 27

My wife is in a memory care facility and has a Joy for All battery operated toy puppy that kept ending up in other residents' rooms. I hid an Air Tag inside it so I could track it down for her which worked great.

• ClarkEb
    ClarkEb Member Posts: 51
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary

grand daughter showed me AirTag holders that fit on crocks. Guess it started with children. LO doesn't wear jewelry or carry purse. But loves her crocks. Plan to see one in her jackets as the weather cools

• RayeMc
    RayeMc Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

My post was not clear. Google's Find My Device does not work with Apple's airtag but works with their Find My Device which now uses a global network to local items. Previously it only worked to locate items within a few feet.

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    edited August 29

There is a similar product for Android devices that uses Bluetooth called ‘Tile’. I’ve had one on my husband’s keys (house only, no car. He can still lock and unlock doors) for a few years. He’s hidden them a few times and the Tile made it easy to find them. It’s not as precise as an AirTag, but works well for my purpose.

DH does carry his Tracfone with him. He has no idea how to use it. But, since the emergency contact feature can be used without knowing the password, I figure it’s worth the small cost.

• KathyBol
    KathyBol Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I had problems with the Tile, and have been leery of the Air Tags, but, after reading all these posts, I will order one or two today! Thanks!

• Lkrielow99
    Lkrielow99 Member Posts: 57
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary

I have about five AirTags. They are in his wallet, his phone case, his truck (doesn’t drive) and backpacks and luggage. When my DH losses his wallet, the AirTag directs me to the exact location in our home. This saves me a lot of time. We have IPhone and IPads.

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

if you are thinking of buying Air Tags, Amazon has a decent sale Labor Day weekend.

• CampCarol
    CampCarol Member Posts: 58
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes, thank you! I just grabbed a four-pack at ~20% off.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more