Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Legs giving out

Petra2024
Petra2024 Member Posts: 39
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

DH fell in the bathroom— he’s on blood thinners and I was told months ago by doc and visiting nurse that if he falls he needs to go to the hospital to check there are no blood clots. So here we are. I called an ambulance because i could barely get him up and knew I couldn’t get him to a car service safely (I don’t drive)… now I don’t know how I’ll get him home. They may admit him but if not I’ll have to get him home somehow. I was handling things pretty well from a practical standpoint but now the trouble with walking is a whole new ballgame. Another chapter… saw his heart doc and neurologist today and at the appointments he was having much more trouble than usual with walking … his heart is doing well with pacemaker and meds so apparently the brain is the issue with walking and maybe even some of the cognitive issues — may be hydrocephalus (nph?) … I guess the hospital will know how I can get medical transportation home… but sitting in the ER I finally remembered this board is here and I thought posting might help somehow.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Blood thinners: consider desired effect versus side effect. Blood thinners can be problematic in frail patients who have a tendency to fall, and possibly have a brain bleed, it may be difficult to get control of the blood loss. Discuss with the prescribing physician how to proceed.

Iris

• Petra2024

thanks Iris L, I will — he had a mini stroke last year when just on aspirin and they put him back on blood thinners— but now that things are changing balance-wise I’ll ask about it again..

• Petra2024

hmmm ER blood tests came back positive for an infection — so they’re starting IV antibiotics …Hoping some things will improve. I was feeling like I was being overly cautious by bringing him to the ER but now I’m glad.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry Petra. Iris is entirely right that the blood thinners become very problematic and risky. At some point it may make more sense to accept the stroke risk rather than risk a bleed. If he truly becomes unable to walk id ask about a hospice evaluation.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 438
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hopefully, once the infection clears you'll see an improvement. If you haven't already, please check all medicine for interactions. Years ago my mother had issues where she was fainting, etc. Once we changed one of her medications, the problem resolved.

• Petra2024

Thank you all— turns out he has pneumonia and may also have Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus — a neurosurgeon is evaluating whether he’s a candidate for that. … He was admitted this morning and I’m home alone tonight in the first time in a long time. It’s such a mix of feelings. Last night in ER was brutal with him agitated and trying to get out of bed as he was delirious and coughing/groaning on and on and he couldn’t say what he was feeling. I was there all night making sure he stayed in the bed. This morning he got a room, his doctors visited and the day nurse is really good— they put a bed alarm on so he can’t go wandering. I’m looking forward to a good night’s sleep— the heart doc who we’ve known for decades sent me home to rest — as he said, I can’t afford to get sick.
    I know pneumonia could change everything but I also know DH has to fight this out— I can’t do it for him.
    this board is like vitamins— you’re all so kind and generous with hard-earned wisdom.

• Petra2024

thanks I’m going to keep this info for when I speak to social work dept when they work on transferring him to rehab next week.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more