Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Updating trust while DH is still able to consent

After reading various posts here, I realize time os of the essence to make changes we've talked about for years but never got around to doing. DH is in the early stages, still able to comprehend, give input and give consent. There is no CELA in my town. Closest one is 75 miles away but there are several trust attorneys close by. We will not qualify for Medicaid because we both have pensions which cover each other should one of us pass. My question is can I use the recommended local trust attorney to redo our trust snd do POA for medical and financial matters or do I need to drive to a CELA to meet our needs. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Stan2
    Stan2 Member Posts: 72
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm probably going to catch some flack for this , but IMHO, while a CELA may have better contacts within the elder care community than another attorney, if they are not in or near your community they probably won't be any more help than any attorney who you trust to take on the job.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I agree with Stan if you're not trying to qualify for Medicaid.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited September 6

As another “retired teacher”, whose DH was also a retired teacher, I agree with Stan and M1. As much as I bi*tched while paying into the system, our pensions are generous and I was able to comfortably pay out of pocket for DH’s eventual 17 month MCF placement. Our CELA helped sort out assets, and designated beneficiaries so that upon DH’s passing, we didn’t have to go through probate. We would not have qualified for Medicaid (and DH’s MCF did not accept Medicaid so we were very fortunate). Good luck with your financial planning. **Just be sure to get DPOA (durable).

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 290
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

One thing I would do differently if I had a do over: Make the medical POA durable, i.e., not springing. My wife's regular POA is durable but her medical POA is not. At some point, two physicians will need to declare her "incapacitated" in order for me to make medical decisions for her.

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I did not use a CELA. We set up trust where either of us could act alone to effect changes, durable POA's etc. We used a regular estate attorney. My feeling at the time was that though her dementia was evident, she would not ever be in a position to actually use the documents empowering her. As time progressed I acted alone to sell and buy real estate and manage her investments. There was never a problem. It probably should be noted that prior to dementia I handled all of our finances so there was no change in responsibilities. Rick

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Rick the only hole I see there is if something unexpected happened to you, who would act for you? You really need documents that specify someone besides her to act on your behalf if you can’t.

• Stan2
    Stan2 Member Posts: 72
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I agree. We did the same as Rick,however we named our daughter as a secondary on all documents.

• addy103
    addy103 Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary

I would only use an elder law attorney. My husband was diagnosed two years ago. Went to a regular attorney first and needed all the paper work, POA, trust redone. Lost thousands.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more