Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Progression or something else

My DH, 72yo, was diagnosed with moderate dementia this year but has been having memory and word finding problems for years. He started on oral Aricept and did not tolerate so started the exelon patch. About a month ago, he started talking about people being in the house. He was at home alone while I worked at that time. We took a vacation and during that time he was surprised to learn we were married. We have been for 31 years. Anyway, it was a pretty sudden progression. I had a urine done and need to repeat it since it was contaminated. I asked about stopping the patch since he'd been on it about 5-6 weeks, NP wasn't really in favor. I stopped it yesterday and will get a urine again next week. He saw a primary care nurse last week, had neuropsych testing last week as part of his overall geriatric assessment last week also. I am a masters prepared nurse so have some knowledge. I understand that travel and illness affect dementia but this started before that. Thoughts?

Comments

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

it sounds like he has progressed to having Stage 5-6 behaviors. My DH started having hallucinations in those stages. If you rule out medical issues like UTI, look up the document that lists the behaviors in each stage so you can see where he is. Doctors are reluctant to give stages since there can be overlapping behaviors. If you haven’t done so, I would read the book “The 36 Hour Day” which was recommended by a nurse and really helped me.

• cdgbdr
    cdgbdr Member Posts: 27
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Thank you for your reply. I'm working through these things and appreciate support.

• cdgbdr

Thank you. I'm so sorry for your situation. I still work full time and may not be realistic but don't want to retire. This seems to be sticking since he's still not aware of our 35 year relationship and 31 year marriage. I'm interviewing a caregiver today and have family and friends lined up throughout the week for a few hours a day. This is so unpredictable and sad. My best wishes for you. Do your best to care for yourself.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

something else I thought of. He should not be left alone for any amount of time. I would start looking into memory care facilities and get on waiting lists if they have them. This disease is terrifying and heartbreaking and can progress very rapidly or can progress slowly. No way to know. That was the advice I was given on and I didn’t take it. I wish I had. Please keep us posted.

• cdgbdr

Thank you. I am going to hire the caregiver and have an appointment with adult day rep next week. I will keep assessing and working on this.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more