Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

MC facility not communicating about anger issues

Jazzma
Jazzma Member Posts: 104
Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I have learned from my DH's staff at memory care that he has been in several altercations in the last month, always in the evening after dinner. He struck other residents and caregivers on several occasions. The only reason I know about it is from the CNAs who are on the floor. Neither the head of the nursing department or the administration have contacted me. I heard from one of the staff that they had been asked not to talk to me about it,

I am really angry about it. He could injure someone else or himself, it could complicate his ability to stay there, and (as they know) I am still considering bringing him home and I certainly need to know about issues that could come up.

His neurologist prescribed Xanax 'as needed' a month ago for evening agitation, but it sounds like some of the nursing staff are reluctant to use it. It's a very low dose and does not knock him out, just relaxes him. I'm asking his doctor about making it a regular part of his before-dinner meds rather than at their discretion.

Has anyone else encountered this? I'm otherwise very happy with the facility. They're small, locally owned, with little turnover in staff. I'm surprised that this became a problem.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Xanax is a benzodiazepine. This class of meds may exhibit a paradoxical effect in some older adults, instead of relaxing, causing agitation. See how his agitation is related to the timing of the xanax. There are other medications to use for agitation, if he needs meds.

Iris

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 438
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

As Iris said - Xanax caused mood swings with my mother. Won't give it to her again.

• Jazzma

Thank you for your advice. His neurologist agreed that it's an unusual prescription but thought it would work for him, and it seems to the times he's taken it. I will talk to his doctor about other alternatives also.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    edited September 15

My DH was combative and struck people, sending a staff to the ER. Another incident caused staff to call 911. Police had to de-escalate. I can't explain why the facility didn't communicate to you. Mine did, but only on the more grave incidents. It took 3 male staff to shower him and these incidents were communicated when discussing how to adjust his care plan. Depakote was added to his meds and he reacted well along with seroquel. Hope your DH's doctor will find the right meds for your DH.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

unfortunately trial and error still come into play. My partner was prescribed Ativan (similar to Xanax) when she went on hospice. I was leery because I thought it would increase her fall risk, but it really takes the edge off her agitation. I do not like that they’re not being transparent in communicating with you however.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

You are going thru exactly as I did. It was hard to admit that I was a trigger, and decision to curb visiting was even harder.

• a04723
    a04723 Member Posts: 4
    5 Care Reactions 5 Likes First Comment

Making these decisions I think is sometimes harder on us than it is on them. I know my husband does not always remember when I have visited and I know the MC knows what to tell him when he asks about me to keep him appeased for the moment. I have come to the realization that I need to let them do their job and I need to just be the wife/partner and do what is best not only for him but for me. We as caregivers often forget that we need care also and that we still have a life outside of the Alzheimer's world. Please be kind to yourself and do what you need to for you also. They would want us to be happy and it takes time to let go.

• Jazzma

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I have realized that the MC nurses and staff are experts at this, while my only experience is with my DH. My job is to remind him that he's safe and loved, and to advocate for him. I talked this out with the head nurse and she explained what her plans are — to communicate with evening and nighttime staff and, if necessary, consult with his physician. I'm good with that. I did ask her to let me know when an episode occurs, and she seems okay with that too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more