Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH is diabetic, has a sweet tooth

added problem with DH with Dementia is diabetic, lately he sneaks in the kitchen & will eat anything sweet, icecream, candy etc, shoots his diabetes up!

i hid the cookies, wont order any more ice-cream,, its hard to keep an eye all day & night. Would rather not put a lock on the cupboard & fridge !

anyone else facing this challenge? Thanks

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I think all you can do is try to keep the sweets out of the house. If he's a type 2 diabetic, the chances of going into serious ketoacidosis are very small, and tight control is not necessary or beneficial at this point in his life: he's much more likely to get in trouble with low blood sugars than high. I'd have a discussion about this with his docs also, perhaps they can give you some additional guidance.

• Whyzit2
    Whyzit2 Member Posts: 55
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

M1 I appreciate your input because I struggle with this issue too. I buy sugar free cookies, fudgecicles and puddings for my DH. If they are used up he gets into my graham crackers and yoghurt. His mind just doesn’t register that he is not hungry. It doesn’t matter the time of day or night.

Being mortal is such a good read. It puts everything in perspective. I would rather he die content from something other than Alzheimer ‘s. We are 14 years in on this awful disease.

• M1

When in practice and I would see folks after turning 80, I would always tell them that past 80, they could do what they darn well pleased. After all, what are you going to do--live longer? They loved it...which was the point of course.

• sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Thanks for all the tips. DH is 85. Trying to get him to improve his balance & other health issues at this point.

i will talk to his doctor,,

thanks

• aconite
    aconite Member Posts: 30
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

DH is an insulin dependent diabetic and seemingly craves sweets especially when his blood sugar is already high. And if sweets aren't readily available, he goes for other carbs such as bread or an apple. Have certainly relaxed expectations regarding what "high" blood sugar is, but still need to be concerned since he no longer produces much, if any, insulin on his own.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I wonder if people with dementia crave sweets because the brain uses more glucose than any other organ in the body? Maybe the brain or the body is trying to repair itself? Is there anyone here with a spouse with dementia that isn’t highly attracted to sweet foods?

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My dh loves sweets, honestly sometimes to get him to eat I will sprinkle a little sugar on whatever I have made for him. He will eat a little bit of vegetables if I have added sugar to his! His doctors have both told me it’s okay! He stayed borderline diabetic even before Alzheimer’s and never eat anything sweet! I will let him go happy!

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

i have similar issues. DH is a Type 1 diabetic and wears a pump that I now manage for him. Not sure what is going but within the last month or so his appetite has increased dramatically. He grazes a lot. Maybe I am making a mistake. I pick my battles. I feel he has so little control over his life and what’s happening to him. If he wants to eat something, I give him more insulin.

• Mimi50
    Mimi50 Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I don't have any suggestion other than maybe switching to sugar free yogurt and Graham crackers. For you too or as M1 suggested not buying any at all. Too keep him out of the sweets he is not supposed too have.

• Lorraines
    Lorraines Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

My dad who was extraordinarily critical of overweight people all his life 'just don't put the food in your mouth' is now uncontrollable. I am wondering if he forgets that he had a cookie, sees the cookies and thinks he's having his first cookie? I know he can't understand what a carb is. And he doesn't believe me that eating too much fruit is bad he 'knows' from his entire life that fruit is good for you.

In the grocery store he goes for ice cream, crackers, chips, sweets, etc.

I also am worried about our relationship being me telling him what to do, what not to do and pointing out when he's eating too many desserts. I'd love to let him eat whatever in his final years.

My issue is that he'll get kicked out of his assisted living if needs variable insulin. So I need him to control it, but he can't. And that is going to lead to sadness. Right now he's 1 mile from me…so easy to spend a lot of time and bring him over to my house. If he has to move to another facility he'll lose freedoms and I won't be able to spend the amount of time with him that I currently do. It will be special visits instead of bopping over there for lunch on a work day, walking the dog with him, etc.

I wonder if I should give up nagging and just let him do as he pleases. But again, I think that will lead to a worse living situation that he will not enjoy. Any thoughts?

• M1

hi Lorraine. Is he a type 2 diabetic? I think you are on the right track not to police this. In fact if you could, I’d discuss with his docs just not checking his sugars any more. Type 2 diabetics are unlikely to develop ketoacidosis, and low blood sugars are more dangerous to him than high.

We are all so programmed towards tight blood sugar control that it’s hard to give it up sometimes. Talk to his docs, there’s probably a happy medium, but in general I would let him do as he pleases. He’s not a 20 year old in whom you need to preserve his kidneys.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I agree with M1, as usual. My only question is where does he get the sweets in assisted living?

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,399
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited September 18

I would not take him to the grocery store and I would ask the facility activity director not to ( explain why). You go to the grocery store for him. And then you forget to buy sweets

Yes, he will still get sweets for dessert at meals or for special activity days. Those are usually portion controlled I’d just let that go. Ask his doctor if his diabetes oral medications need to be increased. And then just give up on controlling that part of him.

• Lorraines
    Lorraines Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

he gets dessert, they have ice cream socials, he has waffles with maple syrup for breakfast, etc

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more