Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Pronounced Lean

My DW has been taking Galantamine for a couple of years. Progression has been fast and she almost can't speak anymore. So, the neurologist said, "Let's try Memantime". I'm not sure why I said yes at this stage, but for the speech issue. Hoping against hope it might give DW a little more time speaking, I guess.

I've noticed a shuffle with my DW, but first day after taking Memantime, she suddenly had a very noticable lean to the left. Almost falling over lean to the left. Anyone seen this before?

I think I'm just going to stop the Memantime and probably the Galantamine too. It's not like I can see these helping her. I feel such anticipate guilt over taking her off of these drugs.

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

my wife on Memantine about 3 months no side effect. My wife is pretty good at this point short term lose and gets confused no more driving otherwise fine can be left alone.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Don't feel guilty. The studies on Aricept are telling and are generally applicable to all of the drugs in this family: one in twelve benefits, one in twelve has a serious side effect, and for ten out of twelve they make no appreciable difference one way or the other. Hard facts, there's still very very little we can do for this disease.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 290
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My wife and I (based on advice from our internist) elected to not pursue these drugs. Personally, I don't understand their utility once the PWD has reached stage 6 or 7.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

@CindyBum

My sister had a noticeable lean in late stage 6, but I think it was the progression of the disease, not the drugs. She would lean while standing up and while sitting down, to the point of almost falling over. I think the doctor said it was one of the Parkinson's-like symptoms, even though my sister didn't have Parkinson's.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 802
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband also has the lean while sitting and often when walking. He was never on an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor (not recommended for FTD). I also believe it to be progression as it started late stage 6. Sorry, Cindy. Don't feel guilty - I know that's easier said than done. Just try to focus on keeping her safe and comfortable. Honestly not sure what else we can do.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

a pronounced lean can also be a part of lewy body dementia—they call it the Lewy Body Lean. Also called Pisa Syndrome sometimes I think-

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

@M1

Peggy's doctor referred to it as Pisa Syndrome.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

My husband used to lean to the left earlier in his disease. Probably stage four. Sometimes it was so pronounced that he would start stumbling sideways and then fall. A couple of times he took me down with him.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 267
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

DW was definitely like the leaning tower of Pisa. We didn't go any further in the diagnosis to discover if she has Lewy Body. From what I've read now, seems leaning can happen to anyone with dementia. I honestly don't know if it's the memantine or not. No lean today, just a leftward drift on our walk.

Well, I don't think I need to guess whether or not she's now firmly in Stage 5.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

my husband was on Memantine and I didn’t see it helped at all.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Antipsychotic drugs can cause leaning as a side effect. Check all meds.

Iris

• cavenson
    cavenson Member Posts: 31
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My mother, who had AD, was prescribed the antipsychotic drug Zyprexa by the doctor who served her assisted living facility. Soon, she could no longer use her walker, and she leaned to one side or the other when sitting. She was sent to the emergency room a couple of times, and they couldn't find a cause. Then, the facility doctor admitted her to a hospital. That's when I found out she was on Zyprexa and learned of its potential side effects. I insisted she be taken off Zyprexa. She was sent to a nursing home where she had physical therapy, was no longer leaning, and was using her walker again. I then relocated her to another assisted living. She had a slow decline with AD and was able to live comfortably there for several more years. It's a good idea to regularly review meds and their side effects.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW definitely leaned in late Stage 6 until she became wheelchair bound and still now in Stage 7e she leans in her Broda chair. In her case to the right.

Be careful as my DW’s leaning lead to falls. In her case she would basically crumple to the floor.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 267
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Well….happy to report that removing DW from memantime and galantamine has had a positive impact on her. No more lean, her walking is a little better, she's more clear and bright and even her speech is a little better. Not a ton better, mind you, but these meds had obviously been making her groggy and foggy. Not something a PWD needs!

I'm so pleased my guilt turned out to be really misplaced.

• Karen711
    Karen711 Member Posts: 62
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Cindy- glad to hear things have improved!

Best Wishes for you and your DW!

Karen

• sbcspin
    sbcspin Member Posts: 10
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband was on Memantime for a month. Side effects weren't worth it in his case. He was weak and dizzy, felt a constant need for the toilet all the time (not a UTI, we tested it and did a bladder ultrasound) - so I stopped it. Only took a week or so for the side effects to stop.

I'm so glad your DW is feeeling better.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney