Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Your thoughts on Aircept

My DH was diagnosed “probably vascular dementia”, scored 22 on cognitive test and is 70 years old. The doctor made no other recommendation other than to start taking Aircept.
he has no other health problems

What are your thoughts on this drug is it worth trying? He is very thin and has dizziness in morning. Doctor said to take it in morning and make sure to be aware of his potential loss of appetite.

Thanks for your insight

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited September 22

staval I’m an internist and I’ve never seen it help anyone. But there are folks on this forum who say that it has had some benefit. The studies say one in twelve patients will be helped, one in twelve will have a serious side effect, and for the vast majority ( 10 out of 12) it will make no difference.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 438
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I'm one of those people. I believe both Aricept and Namenda benefitted my mother for years and there was a noticeable difference when they were stopped.

Everyone is different. You cannot really go by how another person does on the medicine. My mother did not have dizziness and did not take it in the morning, so your circumstances are completely different. If you decide to try it, do your research and monitor very closely for safety/side effects.

• staval
    staval Member Posts: 13
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

I really appreciate the insight, thank you

• AlzWife2023
    AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 236
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary
    edited September 22

My DH has been on the Rivastigmine patch for two months, and there's improvement in his memory and conversational ability. He can hold on to thoughts and participate more fully in conversations. He is still very impaired and can't have consistently complete conversations, he still loses ideas and words, etc., but his batting average has definitely improved.

He was not able to tolerate the Aricept pill—it made him so nauseated that he couldn't get out of bed.

He's 82 and he's got late stage 5/early stage 6 Alzheimer's.

I'd say ask for the patch to avoid the GI risk and hope to be one of the lucky 12. He is!

• allit
    allit Member Posts: 82
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

My wife is 64 diagnosed with MCI with Alzheimer’s pathology. She tried donepezil and felt like it helped with her concentration and focus. But she had a continuous headache on it. The headache went away when she stopped it.

The doc then recommended rivastigmine which is in the same class as donepezil (acetylcholinesterase inhibitor). She feels like that’s helping her too but she’s having a horrible time with nausea.

The next recommendation is rivastigmine patch. There might be less GI upset with the patch. But she can’t start that yet because she’s going to start Leqembi (that’s what her neurologist told her).

The other option in the same class is galantamine.
    And other one in the same class is due on the market next year. It’s called Zunveyl. It’s supposed to have less side effects than galantamine.

I say, if you and your DH decide to start one of these meds, be prepared for side effects. Can your DH communicate well enough to alert you if he is feeling side effects?

• vaagesen
    vaagesen Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

My Name is Vicki and I am a very active 81 year old. Still taking care of my self, still driving, very independent, and living alone This past Friday I was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's. I am not sure what drugs would be a good choice. My Dr has recommended lecanemab, but it is so expensive (Blue Shield in CA doesn't cover it) and I have concerns about the brain bleeds. Any suggestions?

Thanks Vicki

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney