Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Alzheimer's homebound status

AlzWife2023
AlzWife2023 Member Posts: 236
100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary

Am I correct here? Medicaid pays for 35 hours of home care for people who are homebound and people with Alzheimer's who are a wandering risk are considered homebound. Please correct me if you think I've misinterpreted this. Here are my references:

From Google AI:

Yes, wandering can qualify for Medicaid homebound if it meets certain requirements: 

• Level 3A person must need full assistance in at least three of the following eight areas: wandering, adaptation, awareness, danger to self or others, demands on others, judgment, memory, or orientation. 
  • In-home care Medicaid will pay for in-home care if the person would need nursing home care without it. 

Medicaid can also provide assisted living waivers for people with Alzheimer's or dementia. These waivers can help people continue living in the community instead of moving to a nursing home. You can search online by state at medicaid.gov or call 1-800-633-4227 for more information on Medicaid eligibility. 

https://www.alz.org/documents/national/Medicaideligibilityissues.pdf https://www.cms.gov/outreach-and-education/american-indian-alaska-native/aian/outreach-and-education/pdf/medicare-and-medicaid-benefits-for-people-with-dementia_909455-n.pdf

Comments

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I recently read this too but I do not recall where. The CMS website can be daunting but may have some answers . ( Centers for Medicaid /Medicare services= CMS)

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

this varies from state to state….

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

In our state, there’s coverage for up to 35 hours, but usually it’s far less than that, determined by time estimates for completing ADL’s, with maximum allotments that are barely adequate ( for example, 30 minutes a day maximum for toileting). Safety monitoring ( meaning someone just to be there ) is Not covered in most cases. It sounds much better in theory than is usually the case in practice. Many slots are simply not filled right now because the agencies can’t find workers willing to take the low pay and irregular hours. But, it does vary by state.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

as M1 said, each state controls Medicaid. The person has to financially qualify and then be assessed to see what care if any the person needs. There is a document called CARES that they use that I saw online. I’ll see if I can find the link to it.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Search for elder affairs for your state and look for the CARES info ie Comprehensive Assessment and Review for Long-Term Care Services (CARES) Program

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more