Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Help! I am second-guessing my decisions

My DH got COVID last month. For all of his 33-day hospitalization, they forced in to stay in bed (for falls precaution) and would restrain him much of the time. They barely walked him because he required 2 people (staffing issues or laziness?). PT might have come around 4 times in the 33 days. He was transferred to a rehab facility today to strengthen him.

When I arrived, he was sitting outside his room in a hospital gown after he had tried to leave the facility. He is so out of it, and I cannot imagine how difficult it must be for him.

Hopefully, he will only be there a week or so to get strong enough to move him to memory care. Yuck, another major change and more confusion.

I just hate that I am not able to bring him home. I know I don't have the physical, mental or emotional strength to deal with his care, yet I just cannot shake the thought that I am being disloyal and uncaring. How do you ever get past these feelings that you need to be sacrificial and that I am not doing the right thing. I feel like I am abandoning him or throwing him away.

Comments

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

So many here have gone through what you are going through, and so many of us are wondering how long it will be before we are there. My heart hurts for all of us caregivers and for all of the people we care for. It is so hard. I pray daily for everyone in this wonderful community!

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Remember you are doing this for his care and safety. In your heart you know you can no longer give him the care he needs. Your mental and physical well being is important. No need to feel guilty. You have given him care as long as physically possible. Many caregivers die before their LO because of the stress. Praying for your strength. Hugs.

• Jazzma
    Jazzma Member Posts: 104
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

When I felt I just couldn't leave my DH in memory care after a bad hospitalization, the staff there explained to me that it is like taking your child to the first day of kindergarten. They are frightened of change, they want to stay with you, and it is so hard to leave them there. But you know what is best for them in the long run, and you have to be the adult and do it because they are not able to make that decision. It helped me go forward. I still have many days of questioning whether I could have done more, or whether I could bring him back home. For now I know that he is safe, which is the most important thing. Wishing you the very best.

• LindaLouise
    LindaLouise Member Posts: 94
    100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

So helpful to know I'm not alone with my feelings of guilt, mixed up with relief and intense grief and sadness. My DH is only 68 and seems so young compared to the other residents at his MC - but I know that he is calmer due to the MC environment, a careful mix of medications and more than just me being his caregiver. I also know that I am not waking up every hour or two all night long, and that my blood pressure has dropped since he was placed. Placing your spouse in MC is not easy - it's the hardest thing I've ever done - but I have to hold tight to what I know is right for him and not let the emotions, and other people's opinions tempt me to do what is not in his best interest. That is true love - to do what is best for our LOs even when our own emotions and those of others try to tell us we are wrong! But, boy is it hard! Blessings to all of you - so grateful to know you are all out there and we are going through this together…

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

LindaLouise, thank you for your post! It helps to know it's not just me. There is some sanity within this insanity.

• Carl46
    Carl46 Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Denise, it is not disloyal or uncaring to get help when you need it. In some situations, it would be neglect to fail to get needed help. You know his condition and your abilities, and you know best what help you and he need.

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 358
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

@Dio when those people write you a check for $24,000/month for 24/7 in home care, they can weigh in on the decision

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care