Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

EOAD Last Step

Nine years, two months from official Dx, ( she was 55 years old ).. and we are  down to the final days.  I kept her at home for six years, and the last three in LTC..  In the days following Christmas ,DW was struggling with swallowing.

As of noon today DW has not taken any food or fluids for 72 hours.  The LTC has granted me some visitation with all the proper precautions . The Medical staff is not making predictions, but we all know the ending of this story.

Mike 

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    May God comfort you both.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Many of us here have been in your shoes. It is a hard place ....and can be sort of surreal. Please know we are with  you on this last leg.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Very sorry to hear this. You two have had a long hard road and soon she will have ended her journey. She can then rest and be at peace. Remember her as she once was.
  • ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Dear Laurention,  You have done your best, you have given your DW love, comfort, care, respect and dignity.  God grant you serenity in the days of sorrow that lie ahead.  

Love, ElaineD

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Dear Mike, I'm sorry to know that Carol's journey is coming to an end. I envy the two of you having married so young. I can only imagine the wonderful memories you have. May those memories and God's love sustain you through the coming days, weeks and years.
  • 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    I'm sorry Mike.
  • loc3762
    loc3762 Member Posts: 15
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Keeping you and your wife in my thoughts,
  • GMGYPSY
    GMGYPSY Member Posts: 16
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment
    Hi Mike ,I am so sorry to hear that the two of you  are taking that last step.  You and I have much in common.  I am from Barrie Ont.  and  my husband and I both worked for GM in the states.  AND  sadly DH and I are only a few steps  behind  you, as my DH is actively dying   as well. I am almost there with you.  Take care. Wishing you  peace and comfort.
  • mxnmomma
    mxnmomma Member Posts: 5
    Legacy Membership First Comment

Mike,  I am  sorry to hear that Carol is nearing the  end. You have been an amazing caregiver for her even after you placed her in LTC.  I  am happy to hear that you are being allowed  some time with  her,   I   will keep you  both in my thoghts and prayers

Anne

P.S.  Raf (extex) was asking  about you last night

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Mike, I'm sorry. I think it's a good thing that you can be with her. That will make it easier for her.
  • ChrisBme
    ChrisBme Member Posts: 19
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    So so sad.. My heart breaks with you!
  • Laurention
    Laurention Member Posts: 23

Carol ...Was awake for a few hours yesterday ..Her eyes do not track me, but I do notice eye movement when I speak.  I truly believe, she knows I'm there ??

Last night I was going through old photos ...(right up to the moment my emotions got the better of me.) .....  In one particular photo we were camping  with friends  Carol was slugging back a Beer  while spoon feeding our one year old.

We should have been arrested. Certainly not for child abuse . Drinking age was 19 ..Carol was 6 months shy of that date., : )

Mike

• dpetrilli1121@yahoo.com
    [email protected] Member Posts: 1
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Hello! This is my first post. I am new to the boards. Your post touched my heart. Prayers to you it’s been a long road hasn’t it?
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Laurention wrote:

Carol ...Was awake for a few hours yesterday ..Her eyes do not track me, but I do notice eye movement when I speak.  I truly believe, she knows I'm there ??

Mike

Mike...you are right to believe that she knows you are there. I too believe that she recognizes your voice.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Mike, 

Sorry to hear Carol is at the end of her journey.  I hope her passing is peaceful.  I am glad for you that you can be there for her.

Jeff

• feudman
    feudman Member Posts: 59
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Mike, so sorry...you have been a wonderful husband & caregiver, and she absolutely knows you are there...keep talking & saying whatever will help her move on. Tell her you will be there with her very shortly. God has allowed you to be with her and will stay with you both. I am sending prayers.
  • abc123
    Mike, thank you so much for the update. I believe with all my heart that Carol knew you were with her. I'm happy you get to spend time with her!
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Thinking of you, Mike, and sending strength and comfort....
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I am thinking of you too...thank you for the update.
  • ImInTheGarden
    ImInTheGarden Member Posts: 9
    Third Anniversary First Comment
    She knows your voice. Praying for you both.
  • Dreamer Lost
    Dreamer Lost Member Posts: 17
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    My heart is breaking for you and my throat is tightening up thinking of the pain you are enduring.  My dearest husband is also EOAD and in stage 7 so I feel your pain.  Sending you prayers of strength and comfort.  Know that you have done everything you could. You have been a wonderful, loving, and caring husband.
  • Laurention

At noon we enter into day 7 no food or fluids.. Her respiration is erratic, they feel that her kidneys could be shutting down?

I mentioned in another post ...My virus test has expired. ( I'm waiting on an special approval that will allow me to visit today) ... One of my girls does have  a valid negative test ..I think she's visiting now?

Mike

• abc123
    Mike, I'm praying for you and Carol. Thank you for letting us know how she is. I hope you get the special pass to be with her today.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Mike, I went through that with my brother, but I can't imagine what it would be like with my wife. I'm sorry it's so hard.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Mike,

You and Carol remain in my heart and in my prayers.

-LT

• nostove
    nostove Member Posts: 1
    Tenth Anniversary First Comment

Mike,

I haven't been on in a really long time. So sorry to hear about Carol. 

Cathy

• VandyTor08
    VandyTor08 Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    I know this disease means always leaving our spouses twice, once to the disease, and then finally, once to death.  I'm sure you will experience her presence, presence of her better days, in the wit, personality, and character of all those whom she has loved over the years.
  • Bholmes
    Bholmes Member Posts: 15
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

My prayers are with you. I recently lost my dear wife. It is very hard.

Hold her hand if you can and remember your love for each other.

• Laurention

I was at her bedside afternoon Friday when Carol drew her last breath.  Carol was 28 days short of her 65th birthday.

This site was invaluable to me. So many experienced people willing to share tips and ideas.

Then there was the Chat room !!!! Saturday night parties ..! Virtually socializing way before it was the" in thing"  I can't remember all the names "Cathy, Debbie, Anne, come to mind . So many more.. 2014 -15-16 ..You folks literally saved my sanity. I never met y'all.. (did I say that right ? ) ... Up here in Canuckistan we speak and write a slightly different language eh !!

I'll check in from time to time . If I can offer some helpful hints..I will.

Till the next time

Mike 

• Lakhota
    Lakhota Member Posts: 6
    Eighth Anniversary First Comment
    Sorry for your loss, she is whole once again may you and your family find comfort in the coming days. Stay warm up there.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more