Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My husband has covid and there’s nothing I can do

DH has been in a wonderful facility for almost 3 years.  They have had no covid cases until a week ago and now it’s wild fire.  I am grateful that my husband only has mild physical symptoms. Many are not so fortunate.  He is confused, and having new/worsening dementia issues but I am able to talk with him on the phone.  Sitting here, at home alone, knowing that there is literally nothing that I can do, is harder than anything I’ve had to do since placing him.  There is nothing anyone can say and I have only thanks and support for the staff who finds themselves in such a hard position.  I’m just venting to the only group I know that has shared the long separation. Be well, stay safe, and accept my hugs.  Love always

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    So sorry, I can only imagine how worried you must be. Such a helpless feeling...
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Sorry to learn of your husband illness and the challenges of being separated at this time. I hope he recovers quickly.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I can only imagine how you're feeling. I'm so sorry. Hopefully he'll come out of it quickly.
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear, NorthWoods,

You need to stay home and take care of yourself. Your husband is in a wonderful facility that will take good care of him. I know how you feel I also had to place my DH. You did the best you could for as long as you could. You are doing all you can now by talking to him on the phone and sending him your love. Hugs Zetta  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more