Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hello(3)

Although this is my first post, I am not new to the forum. I’ve been gleaning useful information as well as comfort from many of you for over a year. I decided it’s time to come out of the shadows and introduce myself. DH and I have been married 40 years. I am 59 and he is 60. He was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s in 2015, at which time he was sent home from work, never to return again. He was a highly preferred respiratory therapist. He loved his job and was loved by all. Needless to say, our world was turned upside down. I am his full time caregiver and things are becoming extremely difficult. I would estimate him to be at early stage 7. I anticipate sharing much more in the future as I need help and hope to offer help. Thank you for letting me join this community.

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Welcome 2Young,  

Very sorry that you have to join us but I am glad you found us.  Have something in common,  am a retired respiratory therapist. 

• 2 Young
    2 Young Member Posts: 45
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Thank you, Sayra. I’m so glad to have found this place too.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    2young, I'm sorry you have to walk this dreaded path with us. Hopefully when you have questions, there will be someone here who has been there already. As you know, we have people who have been through every moment of this disease, and are ready to help. With your husband being in stage 7, no doubt you will have much to offer too. Welcome to the forum.
  • 2 Young
    Thank you for making me feel welcome, Ed. I have always been a “tough it out” kind of person, reluctant to reach out for help but I am quickly becoming more of an “I’ll take whatever help I can get” kind of person.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments

Welcome 2 Young,  

Something we have in common is that I'm the full time caregiver to my 62 yr old husband who is in early stage 7.  It's definitely not an easy job .

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Welcome 2 young.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Welcome 2 Young sorry you needed to seek us out!
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Ditto. Glad you reached out. These are good folks. We are in this together....
  • 2 Young
    No it’s not easy. I’m sorry you are in the same sinking boat.
  • 2 Young
    Thank you all for your welcoming words.
  • HSW
    HSW Member Posts: 34
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Hello 2 Young, my husband and I have been together for 39 years. He is 59 and I am 56. I'de say he is at stage 6. We are watching old movies today. Thinking about the next stage , food to be exact because I'm hungry, and wondering how the heck can I make an appetizing blended meal
  • 2 Young
    Hello HSW. Thank you for reaching out. I hope you come up with something delicious.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more