Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Total incontinence would be a blessing

DH still uses the toilet, usually with my guidance but occasionally he will try to do it on his own when I’m not watching. I have caught him going in places he shouldn’t, including a wicker trash can (wicker doesn’t hold liquid) and the corner of the bedroom. He will pull it out and start peeing even while walking to the toilet and of course it goes everywhere. Depends won’t help in this situation because as I stated he doesn’t keep it in his pants. I recently ordered a couple of urinal bottles to keep handy and try to catch it the next time it occurs. Any suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I am really sorry for you. I hope I will never have to deal with this. I can’t imagine any solution, sorry
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi 2 Young,

My DH is stage 6, can do practically nothing by himself, or for himself.  For the past several years, I have had to monitor him 24/7/365 to avoid just the type of accidents you describe.  He knows, for now, that he has to “go”,  just not where to go, or what to do once there.  I take him to the toilet (not really on a timed schedule, I can kind of tell he has to go), and totally, physically assist him through the entire process.  He sits to use the toilet, and only has to go 3-4 times in a 24 hour period, which is incredibly helpful. He typically sleeps all night without the need to go, another blessing, but I hear him if he gets up and I can intervene.  The constant vigilance and total assistance is tiring and annoying, but it beats the alternative.  He is definitely not ready for Depends; they wouldn’t serve a purpose.  I hope you can arrive at a solution.   Mine is a 24 hour eagle eye watch; it won’t work for everyone,  but for me, for now, it’s fine.  Good luck.  

• 2 Young
    2 Young Member Posts: 45
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Thank you, French. I hope you never have to deal with it either. Truly.
  • 2 Young
    Hello, Beachfan. I do take him to the toilet unsolicited but with poor results. He usually refuses to go, only to go on his own ten minutes later. I am grateful that he is not belligerent about the refusal though. Also grateful that he as well only goes about three times in a 24 hour period. Can’t imagine having to do this for several more years.
  • A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    2 Young, you're at the same point I am with my DH re: continence. He's whizzed enough times in enough inappropriate places that I feel I'm on constant alert--and, as you say, Depends would not be a real help in this situation. No useful suggestions, just solidarity.
  • anneleigh
    anneleigh Member Posts: 65
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    2 young, sorry that you are going through this stage. My DH is in stage 6 and has difficulty as well, even with wearing depends all the time.  DH does not know how to judge getting to the bathroom, turning himself to sit down, pulling the pants down and aiming for the toilet before it dribbles.  I did buy the urinals and sometimes it does help to have them around, but it is sometimes a nasty chore to empty them.  And of course making sure he does not put it in a place that I was not aware of.  Yes, this will go on for awhile and Patience is the key.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    My wife does not always know where to go. Sometimes it's on a dining room chair (so far I've been able to catch her in time), other times it's in the kitchen or living room (again, I've been lucky. I understand where you are coming from, and I can only offer my sympathy.
  • 2 Young
    Solidarity is good. Thank you A Marie.
  • 2 Young
    Patience and endurance. Thank you for sharing your experience, anneleigh.
  • 2 Young
    Thank you, Ed. My sympathy to you as well.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

This is really a vexing and frustrating problem and I am so sorry. One of the options, if it would work for your DH, is that of the clothing options carried by Buck and Buck, a wonderful adaptive clothing catalog.

In this catalog, there are many choices for adaptive clothing for both men and women and they are attractive.

One option provides clothing that appears to be regular wear, BUT there is a difference:  Though looking like regular clothing, the garments actually close down the back.  This keeps the person from being able to get hands inside clothing, etc.  This back closing clothing comes with the regular shirt and slacks look, there are also sweatshirt/sweatpants, as well as nightwear that closes down the back.  You may want to give Buck and Buck a look.

https://www.buckandbuck.com/

I have used them and they have great customer service.

J.

• 2 Young
    That’s a great idea. Thank you so much for the link, Jo C!
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

Totally agree that this stage is worse than complete incontinence.  We also used Silvert's for anti-strip clothing

https://www.silverts.com

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney