Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

45th Wedding anniversary

Potsie
Potsie Member Posts: 45
10 Comments Second Anniversary

On Saturday April 10th we will be married 45 years. I was 19 and DH was 21 when we were married. So now I am 64 and he is 66. I plan on spending as much of the day with him as I can. He is in early stage 7. He doesn't walk, talk or help with any ADL's. I was hoping to have a picnic with him outside of the MC facility. It may not be warm enough for him as he gets easily chilled. In that case, I will have a picnic in his room and feed him.  It has been weighing heavy on me. It is not the way I have ever thought I would spend any anniversaries. I know so many are in the same boat. His siblings have always been very good about sending cards out. I asked them not too because it is just too hard for me. They said they will respect my wishes.    Recently there have been several people that I have gotten to know a little from the MC facility that have passed away. It is sad but a different kind of sad. Some days I feel so trapped and like this will never end and yet I don't ever want to say good-bye to DH.

Alz connected has helped me not to feel so alone. I feel the need to be in a In-person group but I can't find any yet. Thank you to all.

Comments

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

Potsie,

Congratulations on your anniversary.  It's quite an accomplishment and something to be proud of.  Milestones like wedding anniversaries are so difficult to navigate with this horrible disease.  I wish you well.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    indeed Potsie, happy anniversary. I hope it's a happy day. That's quite a milestone and I also hope it brings rich memories.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Potsie- Congratulations!  Good for you!

DW and I will celebrate our 45th later this year, and I commend you for still celebrating with your DH. Last year we celebrated my birthday and our anniversary on the same day, and had cake. I didn’t mention my birthday, but I did tell her that we’d been married for 44 years. She said “that’s good” and that was the end of it. Not much to celebrate any more. 

• jtbaa
    jtbaa Member Posts: 6
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Potsie, What a kind and generous care partner you are.  May you recall precious memories during your picnic.  Your partner is blessed to have you.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I hope you have a good day, and the picnic turns out well. Congrats on 45 years!
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    The last anniversary  DW recognized me was our 43rd in 2018.  You have my very best wishes for a happy time.
  • 2 Young
    2 Young Member Posts: 45
    Congratulations on 45 years! It sounds like you will make it special. I hope there will be moments to treasure from that day.
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    (((HUGS)))
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Potsie, you are such a loving spouse. May God bless you both as you celebrate 45 years. I hope you have some true moments of joy, even though this is so hard.
  • Potsie
    Potsie Member Posts: 45
    Thank you for the kind responses. This is proving to be a tough week and I am trying to keep it together. It is bittersweet. I am very grateful that I will be able to be with him.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Potsie, Congratulations on your 45th wedding anniversary! Your idea of a picnic sounds so special and so loving. I hope you have a wonderful day and pray that there will be special moments for you to cherish. God bless.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Happy 45th Anniversary! That’s something to be proud of. I hope the weather will be perfect for a picnic.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more