Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I made the decision & I am taking a leap of faith

2»

Comments

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Sending support and prayers your way. Plan A is to bring him home and I know you have a Plan B if Plan A does not work out. Keep us posted. Sending virtual (((hugs))).
  • JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    Everyone makes decisions based on their unique set of circumstances. I hope the journey home went well and wish that the coming days do so too.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you everyone. 

I was on the road about 7 hours yesterday. My sister was a tremendous help. She did most of the driving so that I could decompress on the way there and focus on DH on the way home.

DH was dirty and unkempt when he was discharged. The clothes he was wearing were dirty and the inventory of clothes I sent there with DH were damp and some things were missing. DH had other people's belongings mixed in with his. I understand this happens. I recall reading on this forum that residents "borrow" things from other residents. I am grateful to have been prepared for that minor hiccup.

When we got home, I showered him, brushed his teeth and got him in clean clothes. He slept all through the might and is very well rested.

DH is happy to be home and I am happy he is here. I suppose this is the "honeymoon" phase. I understand the journey forward will be difficult. I am feeling stronger and am glad to have a plan B if this doesn't work out.

I am so grateful for all of you. I understand your concerns. I know I am taking a risk. Thank you for your continued support.

God bless you all.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Dear Lady Texan, my prayers are with you.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Best wishes going forward.  I am praying for you and DH and a safe, successful outcome.  You have clearly put your heart and soul into caring for your DH under the worst conditions.  Hopefully, this is the beginning of a brighter future.
  • Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Your heart led you to your husband in marriage, and now its leading you to take care of him, and you are doing a good job, maybe things will stay good and maybe they wouldn't but you are giving it your best and that's all anyone can do. Live for today because none of us know what tomorrow will bring. God's Blessings and his Peace be with you. Richard
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Thank you for letting us know you two are home safe. We are here for you!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    You must be completely worn out. Thank God he is sleeping a lot. Maybe you'll be able to take advantage of that, and get some rest yourself.
  • Bhopper
    Bhopper Member Posts: 64
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    I hope everything holds together ! Especially you during the new transition I will only repeat what everyone tells me if you go down its going to be difficult. Not preaching only concerned & hoping for the very best to both of you.

BH

• HSW
    HSW Member Posts: 34
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Lady Texan,  I have accepted risk as well. I am with my DH at all times except for when he is sleeping in his room. Medication has moderated his behavior and I work hard at making him feel safe, comfortable and included.
  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,310
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Good news.
  • banpaeng
    banpaeng Member Posts: 66
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Best wishes for Ms Lady Texan.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

DH has a noticeable decline since being discharged from the hospital. From what I have read here, that is not unusual. DH has gotten lost in the house a couple of times. He is very sleepy which may be attributable to the change in his meds. 

This morning we were playing with the dog and DH was giggling. It was music to my ears.

Next week DH has a follow-up with the PCP and his geri-psychiatrist.

I am taking care of myself. My self care includes time on the back porch watching and listening to the wild birds, playing with my dog and reading a book for pleasure. I also made a big picture of cucumber water which makes me feel especially pampered. The big bonus is that I am staying hydrated.

Best wishes to all of you and your loved ones. Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Thank you, Lady Texan.  Best wishes to you.
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Lady T,

That is good news and please continue to take good care of yourself. That cucumber water sounded so good I looked it up and I am going to make me some. It sounds real good. Hugs Zetta  

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That is great news! I'm super happy for you.
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

LT - All the best to you. I have been dealing with some dementia drama here the last few days and a major stepdown with DH so, did not see your news until today. Long story involving lockouts (me, in the garage/him barricading door), attempted 'carjacking' by DH, and a wandering episode (complete with police rescue). I will post more when I can, but haven't been online much, dealing with all that excitement.

Thank you for keeping us posted. What M1 and others said: wishing you only the best and supporting you in whatever you feel is best for your situation at any given moment. You are strong, wise, and have lots of good resources. Sending positive energy and best wishes for you to be safe physically, and as safe mentally and emotionally as any of us can be when caring for a LO with the unpredictability of dementia.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello LT, that was one long ride to pick up your DH; so glad the trip went okay and that all has been calm.   Your back porch and the cucumber water sounds very peaceful.    It may take a couple of weeks for your husband to re-orient himself to home; it really must be a relief to know he is okay and all is well and to hear his laughter.

Let us know how you are; and sending wishes for a really good day with unexpected blessings to find you.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney