Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My husband is finally free from suffering

My 63 yr old husband passed away peacefully this morning at 12:15am.  I am so grateful I was able to keep him home under the care of hospice.  He was bedridden since December 5.  It was so very difficult to see him fade away day by day.  My younger son is extremely upset.  My older son is handling it well.  

My husband used to collect owl figurines. This morning at 2:30 my younger son and I heard a barred owl hooting loudly in the darkness.  So comforting to us.

I'm also grateful for everything I've learned from this website.  There is more information here than what any doctor has told me.

Thank you all for your support.  I wish you all the best in your journeys.

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,314
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I'm so very sorry for your loss.  Please accept my condolences.  Perhaps the owl hooting shortly after he passed away was his way of letting you know that all was well and he was free of this terrible disease.  Take care of yourself.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    I am so deeply sorry for your loss. I truly believe the owl was your messenger of peace and love.
  • Yorklady53
    Yorklady53 Member Posts: 27
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    I’m so very sorry for your loss.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Peace to you DIY, and your family.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I’m so sorry for your family’s loss.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Good morning Doityourselfer, I am with you in sorrow and hope you are able to find peace in the new year. It can be difficult to balance the sense of loss with the sense that suffering is over, and I hope for you and your family that you find peace. I think the owl is a good omen.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Heartfelt condolences on your DH’s passing.   May you find peace and comfort in the weeks and months ahead.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I am sorry, Doityourselfer.  I have been thinking about you; now I will pray for all of you.  You have traveled a long, sad road and I so admire your having kept him at home.  A peaceful passing is something all of would wish for. 

The owl!!! Surely a sign.  My mom sends me a cardinal every so often.  Stay strong and be at peace.  

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Dear Doityourselfer,  I am so sorry for your loss, please feel comfort in the sound of the owl. When my DH left this world 4 years ago, I went out on the back porch, and it was night and there was a star that was blinking at me. I knew it was my DH winking at me like he always did. I still look for that star and I usually see it. Hugs to You, Zetta
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Doityourselfer, I remember your eagle and now you have the comfort of the owl.  This must be a time of relief yet profound sadness that so much was taken from you both. Blessings to you and your family as you start a new journey.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

The owl....beautifully haunting. 

Please accept my condolences sent to you and your boys. 

Please take care and listen to your needs now.

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    I'm really sorry to hear of your loss but glad that he's not suffering anymore.  You should be so proud of yourself for all that you've done for him.  I'm wishing you and your sons peace as you go forward.  An owl, what a neat way for your husband to contact you!
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    So sorry for your loss but glad your husband is no longer suffering. I pray for peace and comfort for you and your family. God bless you and your family.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband. It's been a long time losing him, and the ending must seem surreal right now. I love the message from the owl, thank you for sharing that.

May you and your sons find peace in the days ahead.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I am so sorry for the loss of your husband. The sound of the owl was a wonderful parting gift, your husband has left this disease behind. I am glad you had that special gift. My condolences.
  • Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

My deepest sympathies to you and your sons in this final loss.  It's been a long journey and you've gone the distance with your care and love for your DH.  May you find peace and comfort in the days ahead.   Love the sign from the owl.  (When my dad died, a huge bald eagle circled low, past the large windows during his funeral.  Everyone saw it and I took it as a goodbye from my dad.)

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I am so sorry for your loss.  You have come to the final chapter in the book we are all writing.  I have only been on the sight for about a year, so I'm not as familiar with your story, but we all travel a similar path.  My DH is 67, was diagnosed a little over a year ago, but had symptoms for several years prior.  I hope that you are able to get through this time, and move on to starting your next book.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Sorry, Doityourselfer.  Safe travels
  • Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    So sorry for your loss, and I’m sorry it is happening so close to Christmas. I think it makes it even harder. I hope you get some rest in the weeks ahead and the fog starts to lift. You will be in my prayers.
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear DIY - you have my sincere condolences and best wishes for you and your sons. What a beautiful gift you gave your beloved husband, to be able to care for him at home as you planned. And that owl! Surely a message that he is free. You provided safe passage.

I have been thinking about the unique sequence of numbers in today's date and feeling that is is momentous (122221). Yes, it is the end of an era for you -- as well as a new beginning. Take all the time you need. We are here for you.

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    I am very sorry for your loss. You have been a good caregiver as well as being helpful and comforting on this forum. Be well, and let us know how you are doing.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    I’m sorry for your loss.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'm  so sorry for your loss.  May God grant you peace, comfort and strength in the days and weeks ahead.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I am very sorry for the loss of your husband. You and your sons are in my thoughts & prayers. Please let us know how you are all doing. I'm so sorry.
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    My sincere condolences. May you find peace going forward. Please let us know how it goes in Stage 8. Take care.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear DIY'r. I am sincerely sorry for your loss. I am grateful his passing was peaceful and that you were comforted by the hooting owl.

May God comfort you and your boys. May He bring you all peace and give you the strength you need.

You have been an amazing caregiver. Please take time to rest and heal.

God bless you.

-LT

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    I’m so sorry for your loss. Glad you were able to keep him at home. Sending prayers.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm glad his passing was peaceful.

Doityourselfer wrote:

My husband used to collect owl figurines. This morning at 2:30 my younger son and I heard a barred owl hooting loudly in the darkness.  So comforting to us.

What a great thing to happen! It's easy to understand how that would be comforting.

• Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    I am so sorry for your lose. May every owl you see or hear give you strength to face the heart ache you feel. God's Blessings to you and your sons Richard
  • Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    I am sorry for your loss.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia