Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My husband is finally free from suffering

2»

Comments

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Doityourself, you impressed me this year. My condolences and a remote hug.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I send my heartfelt sympathies to you at the loss of your dearly beloved husband.   It is good that he was able to pass peacefully with his family by his side. May you and your family now find peace and solace in the knowledge of how beautifully you provided care and stayed loyal to your plan to the end. 

When you have time, and if you wish to do so, do let us know how you are, we will be thinking of you.

J.

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    I am so sorry for your loss. I wish you both peace.
  • Grandx7
    Grandx7 Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    May God bless you and your family in this difficult time. I pray for healing for all of you going forward.
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my DH earlier this month and it has been a double edged sword. Blessing and heartache. My prayers are with you.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

December was a very tough month.  It has been 15 days since my husband passed (12-22-21).  He passed as I was sleeping in the twin bed next to him and my younger son slept on the floor in a sleeping bag.  My son placed his Apple watch on my husband's wrist earlier in the day and his last heartrate was as 12:09 a.m.  I woke at 12:36 a.m. and didn't hear him breathing.

My husband was cremated and most of his ashes will be scattered in the Adirondacks and at Old Orchard Beach, Maine.  I'll keep a beautiful small keepsake urn.  We'll have a memorial gathering for family in the Spring.

I have so much support from family and friends that it can be overwhelming, and I look forward to my quiet, alone time.  My husband was the third of eight children.  All but two of his siblings were able to see him before he passed.  I'm so very grateful for those visits.

My younger son is doing much better.  He's back to traveling with work, working out and hiking (weather permitting).  I'm looking forward to hiking with him when the weather improves.

My older son moved to the Boston area a year and a half ago (2 1/2 hours away).  I visited him last Thursday to see his apartment for the first time.  We had a wonderful lunch and took a long walk through the Boston Public Garden and surrounding area.  I'm looking forward to attending a couple of Red Sox games.

It's an odd feeling to have so much free time right now.  I've been in a cleaning/organizing mode.  Donated new/unopened disposable briefs to a senior citizen center, donated unneeded furniture and odds and ends to Habitat for Humanity and the Salvation Army.   Painted the master bedroom and ordered new carpet for that room.  

I miss my husband.  While I was grocery shopping one day a song that reminded me of him came on and brought me to tears.  I've been on auto-pilot taking care of him for the past 5 very, very difficult years that I didn't really think of how much I'd miss him.  For the most part, I'm doing well and taking care of myself.

I wish you all the best in this new year.  Caregiving is one challenging job.

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    I am deeply sorry for your loss.
  • Shevie
    Shevie Member Posts: 31
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    DYI, my heart goes out to you and your family. May you all be blessed with peace and comfort each and everyday. Hugs.
  • VRAAB
    VRAAB Member Posts: 3
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment

Doityourselfer, I am so, so sorry for your loss.  63 yrs. Is too young.  My DH is also 63 and in the later, late stage of this horrible disease.  He is also at home and in hospice.  I don’t know how you did it.  It is getting harder for me emotionally to watch DH fade away and don’t know if I can keep him at home till the end before I have a breakdown.  My prayers are with you and your family. 

DreamerLost

• arizonadianne
    arizonadianne Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    I am so sorry for your family’s loss. I can’t imagine what you are feeling right now. Thank you for sharing with us. I loved hearing about your owl. Sending love!
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Dear Doityourself I am sorry for your loss. Grateful for the signs you received. And I am thankful you were able to care for your DH. May God continue to carry you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more