Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

2022 Happy New Year Really?

2»

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Victoria2020 wrote:

oh the other thing we always did was listen to Broadway musicals --I found the Playbill website --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr99DVmFt2c&ab_channel=Playbill

The singing starts  just after the 2 minute mark. and got happily lost in listening and feeling my spirits soar with the music and especially seeing the joy on the singers faces .

Lady Texan reply:
    Absolutely beautiful. Joyful singing in remembrance of a true talent. I also enjoyed the artflakes website. There is something there for everyone.
    @crushed - I giggled at the rat writ.
  • LizG55
    LizG55 Member Posts: 151
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    CStrope wrote:

Thank you for sharing, I'm glad you were able to get into conversation with your long time friends even though it was hard. Good for you. Did they ask how you are doing with your situation at least? 
  • LizG55
    LizG55 Member Posts: 151
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    RobertsBrown wrote:

Hi Liz,

I came on here today for a mini-rant, but after reading your post and this thread I find I have a different purpose.

Yeah, watching the happy drunks yelling "Happy New Year!" is a little rough, but I have already done that for decades myself. This disease sucks because it steals the memories from our loved ones, but it does not get to steal mine.  I am happy my kids don't have to deal with their mom, and that I can provide sufficient cover that they can ignore our plight with a minimum of guilt.  I am glad that my wife has dementia instead of some painful fatal disease. I am looking forward to the good days, a dry wipe, a meal actually eaten, and seeing my wife safe and warm and sleeping a peaceful sleep.  There are good moments in every day.  When it's bad, my power of denial is very strong too.

I am grateful for support lines, and support forums, family phone calls, farm help, and seeing happy dogs blissfully unaware that the humans are not doing so hot.

I absolutely refuse to be jealous of the happy idiots.  I still believe I will get to be one again some day.  For now, my formulae seems to be that every win is a HUGE win, and every loss is a minor bump in the road.  F**k this S**t.  We can beat it.

I'm glad for you that you're able to be "grateful" for the so called small things and not so small things.  I understand and agree that is the way to go, I've had the Hospice social worker say that to me also. But it takes time to get there. Right now I'm so overwhelmed in caregiving and other things, I'm not there.  I'm just exhausted and want to rest.  Its nice that your children don't have to see all this often, I watched my father suffer terribly with alzheimers, for which I will never forget.  You have a wonderful attitude and I hope I can get there.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    LadyTexan wrote:
    Victoria2020 wrote:

oh the other thing we always did was listen to Broadway musicals --I found the Playbill website --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr99DVmFt2c&ab_channel=Playbill

The singing starts  just after the 2 minute mark. and got happily lost in listening and feeling my spirits soar with the music and especially seeing the joy on the singers faces .

Lady Texan reply:
    Absolutely beautiful. Joyful singing in remembrance of a true talent. I also enjoyed the artflakes website. There is something there for everyone.
    @crushed - I giggled at the rat writ.

DW and I used to love going to Broadway theatre.  Here’s a beautiful song from the genius of Stephen Sondheim that, perhaps, speaks to caregivers.

https://youtu.be/LnLKbc2hvxk

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney