Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dementia Divorce and Adult Step

2»

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Helen… I hope your lawyer was able  to negotiate a fair divorce settlement for you.  Since you were not able to keep the house.  It sounds like your former step sons plan on selling the home for the equity.  The joke is on them because they will need to use that money to provide for their father’s care, or at least a new home for him.  They will not be able to request Medicaid for him until they have proved they spent the money on his care. The divorce settlement will show what assets your ex husband had at the time of the divorce.   While you are now assured that your retirement money will go for your own care and not your ex husbands. 

I know you are emotionally devastated by all this.  I think you need to stop calling your  ex spouse and stop answering his calls unless you have someone with you. This is for your own legal protection.  If your former step children went to the extremes of a guardian ad litem to get the two of you divorced, they won’t think twice of accusing you of elder abuse if you keep communicating with your ex-husband- if they didn’t already during the court case. 

You cannot help your ex spouse now, no matter how much you try.  The court has spoken.  Please use this time to get some therapy and rest.  Maybe relocate to somewhere that doesn’t hold devastating memories for you.  

• CaregiverHelen
    CaregiverHelen Member Posts: 55
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Yes. I did try a bit of counseling before, and my siblings have really been amazing with supporting me. I will seek out this counselor again as I begin a new life.  These final recent events have just been so devastating when you’ve always prided yourself on giving your loved one the best possible care and devotion, despite the  dementia care challenges we all face. Thanks for your support.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Just checking in. Helen you are in my prayers and thoughts.
  • CaregiverHelen
    Thank you for your positive thoughts. There are such wonderful people here on this site. I really appreciate all of your kindness and support.
  • CaregiverHelen
    I just wanted to check back in with all of you that have been so supportive. After just three weeks of caring for my now ex husband, guess what? The POA stepson put my husband into a nursing home!! Just what he claimed to the Guardian Ad Litem that I would do…That was his constant lie. He said caring for his father was ruining his health and his marriage. No other stepadult came forward to help. They scammed the Guardian Ad Litem by saying that “the whole family was going to take care of him at home. The wife was just one person.” Total scam to get the house and his assets. They might use his money to say they are “remodeling it” for him…but he doesn’t even want to live there with his son and his dogs and little kids. My ex hates being in a nursing home, and now the stepson made sure he is drugged up on Seroquel to keep him sedated. My ex-husband could never tolerate that drug very well. He’s fallen out of bed and hit his head twice on a metal radiator, gets no exercise and is alone most of the time, and is now skin and bones. I really think his kids want him to die as soon as possible. I feel like filing an article 81 to save him, or at least get a neutral guardian in place that will make sure all his funds get used for HIS care. The son is charging up his Anex card for his own use. My ex gets about $14,000 in disability payments each month. Such a tragedy. I do visit him, but he keeps asking when he can “go home again with his wife.”
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Such a tragedy. Thanks for the update. That didn't take long at all.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SNR
    SNR Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I am wondering what was the symptom that gave you the understanding that you had something different going on.  I was diagnosed a month ago.  I finally allowed myself to realize that I just could not remember…where I put something,  was probably the thing that I admitted to.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    CaregiverHelen, your story is heartbreaking. A friend of mine, whose husband died of AD, had terrible problems with her three stepchildren. Despite the fact that they never visited their dying father they inherited 90% of his estate. They actually tried to contest the 10% my friend inherited but her attorney scared them out of it. Children may be adults but some never become grown-ups.
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    (((CGHelen))) - I had so hoped your selfish steps would not get away with this. And as suspected, they didn't even hide their greedy hands very long. Terribly wrong. I definitely would file whatever is possible to put their dishonest behavior on record. Maybe there is some recourse after all.
  • OrganizerBecky
    OrganizerBecky Member Posts: 32
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments
    I can't help but wonder if Adult Protective Services shouldn't be notified. Both for the financial and physical abuse/neglect. I am so, so, so sorry you've been through this.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more