Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Throwing in the towel on this relationship

2»

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Lynne D wrote:

I have three hours of respite care today and am having lunch with my cousin!

That's good to hear, Lynne. I hope you have a very enjoyable time.

And I'm glad you are considering counseling. When we lost one of our sons, my wife needed counseling for quite some time. She had a good counselor, and that proved very beneficial.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Lynne have you thought about starting your own support group local to your area? I did that 6 years ago and it is amazing. I didn’t start out to do it but someone in my town saw that I had used it as my sign on name and she contacted me and then another lady did and we were on our way. We have added members by inviting people we think might be interested. We started out as all ladies but two men have joined. There are now 16 of us. We kept it going thru Covid by meeting in parks and zoom and then a church donated space to us. We meet once a week. You could put out a feeler on Facebook and NextDoor and you might be shocked at the response you get. We are not a structured group and we can say anything with no judgement. At our last meeting two widows said they felt that they were the lucky ones and that they felt sorry for us knowing what we have to go thru. Another member applauded their honesty. We have become friends and often when a member loses a spouse they keep coming to the meetings because they know they have some value to add. Even if you just meet people that can be your texting buddies it will all help you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more