Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My dear wife passed at 10:05 this morning

Hi everybody, Jan's suffering is over and I am so glad. I'm going to miss her dearly. I would like to thank each and everyone of you that kept us in your prayers and thoughts. All the advice given which I  wish I would have followed at the start.

For you newcomers to this forum, the advice given is by people that have gone thru this difficult journal already and lots are still going thru it.  It can save you a lot of heartache later on.

Thanks again everybody,   Hoot

Comments

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    You and your children will remain in my thoughts and prayers in the days ahead, Ken. I am so very sorry to hear your sad news, but thankful that her suffering has ended.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Hoot, I know you didn't want to prolong Jan's misery, and that's understandable. But it is still a hard loss for you, and I'm sorry for that. I wish you peace in the coming days.
  • Twin Mom
    Twin Mom Member Posts: 81
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    Wishing you peace as you claim your new life without Jan.  It will be hard, but I hope you will find it knowing you did your best.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    My deepest sympathies on the loss of your wife, Jan.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Hoot, I'm so sorry for your loss, but like you said, Jan's suffering is over. You were a great husband and caregiver. Never doubt yourself. You took great care of her right up to the end. May God bless you and your family with strength and peace in the days and weeks ahead.
  • 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    I'm sorry Hoot.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

I wish I could say I miss her, but not in the shape she was in. I don't have to worry about her anymore. It was so hard to try and help her  the last 3 months . She wasn't the ideal patient for the nursing staff either. She was even worse at the hospital than she was at home.  Her suffering is over finally and I do miss her and I imagine it will be real hard on me for a while.

But I wouldn't want her back the way she was. I have the good memories on how it used to be. I haven't tasted tears in a long long time but I sure am now.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello Ken, my thoughts go to both you and your family on the loss of Jan.  It had been a long and difficult journey.   You did the best you could under the most challenging of circumstances and  then had to also push hard with the hospital situation in order to ensure Jan's care.  You have done well, Mr. Hoot; you got Jan to the level of care she needed and stayed the course being her advocate and support for her care as well as when she left this life.

I wish for peace and solace to find you and your family soon.  When you have time and are up to it, let us know how you are; and do not forget, that once part of this extended supportive electronic family, one is always part of it if one wishes to be so; if you decide to continue on or stop in at times to connect, we are all here.

J.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Hoot, Ben, it’s always sad when you hear of someone passing, but when you know how much suffering that person was in its kinda different. I’m so glad Jan has passed over and no longer in Alzheimer’s trap. She is free and with Our Heavenly Father. Ben I pray for peace for you, your son and daughter and other family.  Take care of yourself and don’t forget to rest, go fishing!!
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    May you find peace in the beautiful memories you shared earlier in life.  So very sorry for your loss.
  • John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    May you find peace and my God bless her soul.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I'm so sorry for your loss, but happy she is released from her body, which no longer worked.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ken I’m so sorry for your loss
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Hoot, My sincere condolences on the loss of your wife. May you find some peace in the days ahead.
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Hoot.   It's been a long and hard journey for you and Jan. Jan is now at peace please give yourself some time. Jan was lucky to have you by her side while caring for her. Please get some rest. Hugs Zetta
  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,322
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Please accept my sincere condolences on your loss.
  • Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Hoot I am so sorry for the loss  of your beloved wife and partner in life. Some days I wonder what is the worst part, was it the beginning when we really don’t understand what was going on, and how to help them? Was it when things got so stressful and so hard to handle, we don't know what to do? Was it when our loved one came to the end, wanting it to be over for them but knowing the heartache that will be with us?                                                                                                  Whatever it is remember this you were a good caregiver to her, and you took good care of her, as you move forward in your life without her remember the good times forget the bad times, she loved you and you loved her, and when it’s all said and done, that's the most important thing in your time together. God’s Blessings to you Richard

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Ken/Hoot —

Heartfelt condolences on your dear Jan’s passing.  I know you are glad her suffering is over, and I hope you can start to heal now that your caregiving responsibilities have ceased.  You have been extraordinarily challenged, and did your best under very difficult circumstances.

I hope you find peace and solace in the weeks and months ahead, and that your memories of your DW are a blessing and a balm.

• KathyF1
    KathyF1 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    You’re in my prayers Hoot. I’ve read your posts and know you were wonderful to your sweet wife. God Bless you.
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Hoot,  I'm so very sorry for all you and your wife went through and thank you for sharing your story. Your strength, tenacity and love for your wife have been an inspiration to me. I hope you find relief in the fond memories of past years.
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Dear Hoot. I'm wishing you healing comfort, support, and strength as you enter this new phase of the journey.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes

Dear Hoot,

Please accept my sincere condolences on the passing of your wife.  I hope your memories of the good times you had together will soon outshine the more difficult ones.  I have learned so much from you about love and decency in trying times.  

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Oh, Hoot, condolences for your loss of Jan...but she is in a better place! Take good care of yourself and may you find peace and solace in the days ahead. Jan would want you to live your life now! Please return once in awhile, if you're up to it, and let us know how you're doing.

Big Hugs...

• Colt99
    Colt99 Member Posts: 25
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Hoot – you have been put through the wringer but you handled it well. I believe you will be able to find the peace you deserve in the woods or with a fishing line, but how do you deal with the loneliness? Best wishes and prayers for strength coming your way.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hoot,

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you will have peace in the future and the good memories of your life together before this disease took over.

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Dear Hoot,

I have been following you for a long time and felt your pain with Jan. As I journey with my DH, I think of the release that will eventually come. You have given me courage to carry on especially with all the difficulties you have experienced. I sometimes wonder how we have been given this cross to bear, but then realize we are not the only ones in this challenge. You have fought  the good fight and now you can fish with an angel. May Jan rest in peace.

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I am sorry, Hoot, for your loss. Your devotion as a caregiver has been an inspiration. Thank you for sharing. Peace.
  • clndaniels
    clndaniels Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary
    I am so sorry for your loss. Jan is definitely in a better place. This disease takes so much out of the whole family. God bless all of you and bring you peace.
  • mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Hoot,

I am so sorry for your loss. Please continue to stay with us. Bless you,

Michele  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset