Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Newly diagnosed DH

sarah
sarah Member Posts: 1 Member
I'm not sure what resources are available to me. I know that there is so much that I need to do, but don't know where to begin.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,700
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Sarah, you're off to a good start by coming here, though sorry you have reason to. There are lots of threads about new diagnosis and early steps. Getting your legal and financial ducks in a row is a big one--you want to do all those things while your DH can stlll participate, if he can and will. Talking to a certified elder law attorney can help take care of all of that.

Read a lot of threads here. It will give you some ideas about what to do now and what to anticipate later. Certain ones will strike chords and you'll realize that you are dealing with similar situations.

The website was just changed a couple of weeks ago and there are still a lot of kinks. but look at the Solutions section, that will also give you ideas.

Again I'm sorry you are facing this, but this forum has helped me and a lot of others to cope or cope better, anyway. Good luck.

• towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 471
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Sarah, welcome to the forum.

"I do not know what resources are available to me"----- In what area do you need resources? Financial info on how much care costs and how to pay for it? General info on dementia? How to cope with your Loved One with dementia? Emotional support? If you tell us, we will do our best to point you in the right direction.

"I do not know where to start" ---- You have made a good start by coming here. When I got to this point, and I have been there, I would write down on a separate piece of paper each thing I needed to do, fold them up, mix them up, shut my eyes, and pick one. Sometimes it does not matter what you do first, so long as you do something.

Hugs and encouragement to you-

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hi Sarah. Welcome to the forum, but I wish you didn't need it. I agree with M1 about seeing a CELA. This is very important, and needs to be done before long. If you wait too long, you will surely regret it.

Towhee asked some good questions about what it is you are looking for. It will help if you put the state where you reside in your profile, or at the minimum at least let us know here. People will be better able to help you when they know that.

• Cathy coconis
    Cathy coconis Member Posts: 8
    Third Anniversary First Comment

Hi Sarah, my first time connecting here. My DH is also newly diagnosed. I’d be glad just to know someone else going through the same thing. I live in southern NH

cathyNew

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Cathy and Sarah,

You are in the right place. If you keep reading and search for information here, you will find it. If its a new problem post the question and someone will answer it.. usually many someones. No question is too

trivial. We are here to support.

Maureen

• bonkey
    bonkey Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

DH diagnosed 4 years ago, on Donepezil and Prozac, mood is great, he is happy but has no short term memory , his guy is compromised and he can only walk with a walker, he now goes to adult day care twice a week. Our daughters are very helpful and get along with him much better than me.i do everything for him since he can't really get around. I'm ok with that, he talks about sex constantly which really brings me down. I know I am luckier than many, but I am so depressed. He is so different than he was

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more