Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

By Beachfan: And So It Ends…..

Beachfan
Beachfan Member Posts: 790
Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

DH passed on Friday evening. He left this life much as he lived it, quietly, with dignity, without complaint, surrounded by love. The kids and I were with him; it was what I would wish for if I had to make a plan. I will miss him every day of my life; I hit the lottery when he plucked me out of all the Freshman girls at college and gave me a month to fall in love with him way back in 1964. We had a great ride.

Although I knew he was well loved and well respected in his hometown, I continue to be astonished at the numbers of people, young and old, who have stopped by to tell stories, share some tears, but mostly laugh and reminisce about past years. The high school baseball field, which is named in his honor, was lit on Sunday night for 43 minutes, marking his 43 years as head coach. I thought we would drive by and honk the horn, but upon arrival there were over 100 people gathered, milling about, chatting, and offering condolences and encouragement. People remained in the cold, in the dark, after the lights were extinguished; it was truly an amazing tribute.

Thanks again to all of you, my forum friends for the past five years. I will visit, lurk, and maybe comment occasionally. But know that all of you will be in my thoughts and prayers forever. I wish all of you peace going forward; I think I have found peace.

Rest in peace, “Coach”.

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

What a lovely tribute to your husband ...thank you for sharing it

Please accept my sympathy and love.

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

The chills will not stop after reading your post. So sorry for your incredible loss.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 323
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I wish you peace and comfort. I have always appreciated the information and support you provided to those following you on this sad journey. Now go on and live life to the fullest as I'm sure you're planning.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Beachfan, please accept my condolences in the loss of your dear husband. What a wonderful tribute from those whose lives he touched!

Iris

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Dear Beachfan, what a beautiful tribute to your dear husband. I’m sorry for your loss and pray for peace and comfort for you and your family in the coming days. You have always been helpful to me on this form. Thank you. Sending love and prayers.

Brenda

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Dear Beachfan, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this very hard time.

Thank you for sharing the tribute to your DH. He must have been an amazing man.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

WOW! What a tribute! That man touched a lot of lives. I'm sorry for such a large loss to you and the family. Stay close to the kids now for the support you all need.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Such a lovely tribute. I am so sorry for your loss. I pray for peace and comfort for you and your family.

• JudyMorrowMaloney
    JudyMorrowMaloney Member Posts: 74
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

What a great tribute! I wish you and your family the best in the days ahead.

• JudyMorrowMaloney

• JudyMorrowMaloney

What a great tribute!

• JudyMorrowMaloney

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Beachfan-

I am sorry for the loss of your dear husband.

The turnout for his tribute is a testament to the difference he made in so many lives.

HB

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Beachfan, It shows that your husband was indeed a loved and respected man. Please expect my sincere condolences & may you find peace in the days ahead. Joe

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

((((Dear Beachfan)))))

Your dear husband will be missed by many, please be at peace. Hugs to you and your family. Hugs Zetta

• Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Dear Beachfan,

I'm so very sorry for your loss. We've been on this journey together for years so I feel I know your DH! I'm grieving along with you. Lills.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,678
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Beachfan I’m so very sorry for your loss of your dear husband.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 529
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I am so sad for your loss, but so amazed and touched by the love you have given and received. How wonderful to know that it was shared by a whole community that came together to honor him in this way. Hoping that the days ahead bring you peace and healing.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 472
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sweet tears in my eyes. Love to you and your family . You are an amazing woman. Rest in peace “ coach”

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Beach Fan,

That looks like an amazing tribute to a well loved coach. Thank you for sharing with us. I love that we can share pictures now.

My heart goes out to you. You did everything right , including placing him when you did . Now you can rest and spend more time at the the beach in Peace.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited April 2023

Beachfan as many have said that is an incredible tribute to your dh, he touch many many lives. I know your heart is truly broken, and you will certainly be in my prayers.

Stewart

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Beachfan — heartfelt condolences on your DH’s passing. I have followed your journey since I joined this site, and you have been a wonderful, thoughtful caregiver and a terrific contributor here. I hope your heart heals and you find joy in your loving family. Stop in and visit us when you are so inclined.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Lynn/Beachfan ((I think that's right?), peace to you. It is over for him, and who could want more than to be beloved by their community and their family? A life well lived. And I hope the memories of the happy times, the great ride will sustain you in the days to come. I hope you'll still visit the boards as this new chapter starts for you. I'll miss you if you move on. Till we meet again perhaps.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

It’s clear your husband touched many people’s lives in a positive and memorable way. So lovely that so many of them came out to share in remembering him.

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband, Beachfan. He must have been a wonderful teacher and coach to be loved by so many.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Sounds like a really special guy! Glad you were blessed to share life together. So sorry for the loss of your dear husband.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I thought ‘ a life well lived’ just like M1 said. When people come and honor a person for 43 years of service several years after that service ended, that’s when you know he made a difference in young peoples’ lives. A difference that probably still exists in those people today. Wouldn’t we all wish that people could say we made a difference?

I’m sorry for your loss. I’m sorry that this wrecking ball called dementia showed up in your lives.

• Boxerlover53
    Boxerlover53 Member Posts: 11
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear husband. What a wonderful tribute from those that knew him. Sending you gentle hugs and wishes for comfort and peace going forward.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,319
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please accept my sincere condolences.

• LilySue
    LilySue Member Posts: 37
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

What a BEAUTIFUL show of love for someone so obviously loved by both his family and his community. And now life goes on for both of us as we remember and miss our baseball players!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more