Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Day 7 no food or water

Lgw
Lgw Member Posts: 115
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

It is just so painful watching the days tick by with only sleeping and changing him. His changes are now 4 hours apart because of so little fluid coming off the different organs. In spite of a low-flow mattress he managed to get a new bed sore. The skin is just breaking down and when I start to change him he starts scratching. I try to stay busy doing anything else. Packing to go stay with my daughter for a few months if this is ever over. He reaches out for a hug and those will be such sweet memories.

Comments

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

so sorry. You are on a long vigil. Are you by yourself? I hope your daughter is there. I read somewhere that caregivers need a place to go and debrief after caregiving.

Going to your daughters seems like a great idea.

You’re in my prayers.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My heart is with you.....I well remember the days that seemed to go on for what seemed like more than 24 hours.

-Judith

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hugs hugs hugs hugs

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,678
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

(((((Lgw)))). I’m so sorry

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sorry for such a difficult time in your life. I think staying with your daughter is a good idea, but you will likely need some time to just be alone with your thoughts. I hope you have someone to be with you now.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

We are all thinking about you lgw.

• Lgw

My grandson and his wife are living here. The greatgrandsons keep me distracted. Here goes day 8

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Little ones can deflect some of the agony. Surely this will be one of the longest days. Hoping he and you will have peace at the end.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 347
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments First Anniversary

Praying for you and your family 🙏

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Lgw, I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this. My heart goes out to you. My prayers are with you and your husband.

Brenda

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I am thinking of you and sending a soft hug your way.

J.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Lgw sorry this is surly the hardest time sending prayers you.

• Lgw

on day 10. looks like he will make it to day 11. No pee left

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I wish I could comfort you. I just hope he's comfortable.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Lgw glad you have family there with you but sorry you have to go through this. Sending prayers for peace and comfort to you, your husband and family.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you for taking the time to update. What a vigil.

• White Crane

Praying for you.

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Lgw Thinking of you during this difficult time. God bless you and your family and LO

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Lgw - sending you hugs and prayers. I just can't imagine how difficult this is for you.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thinking of you, and sorry this is so extraordinarily trying.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,015
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    edited May 2023

Praying for you and your family. I’m glad you have someone staying with you during this horribly difficult time.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Praying for you and hoping that your DH will soon be at peace.

• Lgw

My DH has made it to day it to day 12. He woke me up breathing really hard. Figure he was in a lot of pain. I got up and gave him his morphine and he relaxed. It is so difficult to change the chucks as he is very rigid. At least he no longer wears a diaper the normal way. Just tucked behind him so that is easier. We are still peeing at the rate of 2 times a day. Anyone else faced this? I try using the draw sheet to turn him but I'm just not strong enough. The Hospice nurse now comes 7 days a week, and the chaplain now will come 3 times a week if he is still alive. I am tired. It seems too cruel to ask for respite care at this point. He wanted to die at home.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Prayers for you and a peaceful passing. Hugs

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Lgw,

I am so sorry you are having to endure this agony, knowing the outcome. My DH was “struggling to breathe” with an oxygen level at 82% on Tuesday afternoon, when I was advised to notify family members. Additionally, however, he had vomited that morning and developed aspiration pneumonia, I believe. He was exhibiting noisy rattling and gurgling as well. He was administered medication to dry the secretions and quell the rattling; it did help somewhat. I stayed bedside from Tuesday afternoon until he passed on Friday evening. I “think” I recall a few, very few, changes of briefs and a hospice aide bathed him thoroughly once, on Thursday. By late Friday afternoon, early evening, his breathing rate had dropped considerably and my son began timing his breaths. He was breathing at about 5-6 breaths a minute and the facility nurse said she was going to give him medicine (morphine and Ativan) for agitation; I didn’t think he was agitated. He then passed, very peacefully, in a very few minutes.

I am so in awe of your decision and perseverance in keeping your DH at home. I thought I would do that; I did not. I am comforted by the care and compassion shown to DH at the MCF; it was as close to home as I could provide. I pray this journey will end peacefully and soon for both you and your DH. You are a rock; I admire and envy your strength. Bless you!

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I’m very sorry for these trials and heartache. So very hard.

When I was assisting my mom with end of life care, the hospice nurse and CNA came by and asked me if I wanted them to change her. I said no, don’t rattle her. This was on day 7. After chatting for a bit about things, they encouraged me again to let them rustle her a little by changing her because sometimes a body shift, lung shift, organ shift can allow for something (can’t remember exactly what it was) that might allow her body or brain or heart to finally give way for her to pass. I’m going to ask the nurse again cause it made sense at the time. Not sure if it helped mom but that’s what they said. She passed on day 8.

Also, as far as the meds, I was giving her morphine, haldol and lorazepam on a schedule, round the clock. She didn’t show signs of discomfort or rigidity, only rigidity in her last couple of hours. Morphine was every 4 hours with no sign of discomfort. I asked the nurse if I should stop since mom seemed unavailable in any way, nurse said absolutely not, err on the side of comfort.

im sorry this part is so difficult. Please take care of yourself too. Give yourself lots of time.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thinking of you..............

• White Crane

Praying for you.

• Lgw

Now day 13 he is in a coma and now the death rattle... I was afraid to write anything down thinking it would make it longer. He deserves to go to heaven soon.

• White Crane

Holding you close in prayer and sending virtual hugs.My heart breaks for you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more