Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Holding my DW hostage

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

My wife was a lifelong federal government physician until she developed Alzheimer's.

He support for her care comes from her federal pension. social security and her savings invested federal bonds. She earned all these and they are backed by the full faith and credit of the US government

A group of political (CENSORED) arrived in Washington and threatened to cut off her support by defaulting on the Government's obligation to pay the debt that pays for her support unless their unrelated demands are met.

Of course DW is not the only hostage here

"Most obviously, a sharp drop in stocks would hit retirement or other investment funds across the board. At the same time, bond markets determine all kinds of borrowing costs, which would go sharply higher if there were a U.S. default. This would be more bad news for anyone hoping to buy a house or a car at a time when borrowing costs have already risen after the Federal Reserve hiked interest rates aggressively to fight high inflation. Mortgage rates, for example, would climb even higher, as would interest rates on credit cards."

I suggest preparing for a staggering "self inflicted" economic catastrophe directly impacting Alzheimer's patients.

Comments

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Dear Crushed,

I am in total agreement with you. My DH receives his healthcare through the VA. They have been more knowledgeable

and helpful than the civilian medical system. We are also receiving Social Security benefits, Medicare, etc. This is the first time i'm really afraid that we will go into default. OR.... that there will be drastic cuts to much needed services. We are all being held hostage by this ruthless minority. Its time for a big reset. I can only hope.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

You're right, it's so wild right now. Things have evolved in recent years into something I never imagined it could/would. The relentless stress it causes is equally bizarre.

My son who is the sole provider for his young family, expecting a second child soon - who served our country for several years in a diffcult, high-risk job and is living the rest of his life with significant, painful disability as a result - just started a new job with the FAA. ...

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I feel as if the 24 hour news cycle and the internet have encouraged those elected to be on a constant re-election campaign. They aren’t interested in policy, compromise, representing everyone in their district or getting things done. they are only interested in getting people who agree with them to show up on Election Day and gathering money for their campaigns. I don’t believe in term limits because I think people should be able to vote as they wish and that we need a good portion of those elected to have experience. I don’t know the answer but I’m sure annoyed with the situation.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I was reading where Dolly Parton has a new song where she rips our politicians, but not by name or party. She has always been on the sidelines with things political. I say good for her.

• Unbreak4ble
    Unbreak4ble Member Posts: 33
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Hasn’t this exact same circumstance happened before multiple times, or is this new? It sure sounds familiar.

• Larrytherunner
    Larrytherunner Member Posts: 83
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

You might ask who is going to benefit when the stock market and real estate drop dramatically after the US goes through a default. The beneficiaries will be the hedge funds, private equity funds, and others funds and individuals with cash on hand that can buy up stock and real estate at bargain prices with no government oversight. Ninety plus percent of Americans are going to lose and maybe one percent are going to make a ton of money. There are lot of billionaires investors out there hoping for an unstable US economy so they can get even richer.

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

What Is the National Debt Costing Us? (pgpf.org)

A good read about the US debt. In my opinion, the CLOWNS in Washington, both parties, are the biggest problem.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

What I "hear" is ... concern about a loved one's care, coming from a devoted long-term caregiver. Crushed, I hear you and may there be helpful resolution and reassurance very soon. ... Comfort and peace coming your way ... ~Helen

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited May 2023

While the details of what is going on are not readily available it leaves many with great worry. That is the terrible result of what is going on.

I think the sharing of the great concern felt regarding the care of a loved one is appropriate.

• Unbreak4ble

When I care for my wife, I don’t trash other people in the process. It’s just a sneaky way to further an ideology and seem like it’s from a virtuous place. I’d entertain wagers that it won’t happen.

• Crushed

I live inside the beltway. My field is science based safety When covid came And I posted warnings some folks claimed "Its all poltical" and then over a 500,000 people DIED including many alzheimers patients

When I pointed out the need for masks and isolation and vaccination the same folks said "its all political" and another 500,000 unvaccinated and unmasked who did not take precautions Died

The dispute over default may be poltical but the effect of default on our loved would be beyond horrible

Some people clearly don't care

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

I didn't interpret the original post as being political. It's just stating facts. Our lawmakers' doings will impact us.

• Larrytherunner
    Larrytherunner Member Posts: 83
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I don't know how supporting saving lives could be considered being too political. And why would politicians want to threaten to destroy the economy if they didn't get their own way. These are just not normal times.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Our concern for our loved ones, for our medical care, for our ability to pay our bills, while many of us are the sole caregivers, is not political. However, as we read the many posts about finances, elder law, memory care facilities, the unsustainable costs, we learn that we are living within a system that is very unsupportive,. and out of touch with reality.

Most of us CAN'T get politically involved, as we are all consumed with taking care of our loved ones, while continuing to work at a job or run a business. So, we express our grief, worry, and frustration here.

This is what the original post is about.

Maybe we need to speak a little louder.

• Crushed

IMHO that is not the way you deal with risk

Risk is a probability and a consequence

Probabilities are always estimated One problem with this risk is that even the credible threat of default has already had future consequences, since it changes the "prior belief" in a bayesian analysis of the risk . That has bad effects on the economy

The second element is the effect of any policy shift required to get an agreement. According to most analyists most of the proposals being sent around are negative for the poor.

Final element is default itself

• jfkoc

I have flagged this post as continued possible violation of guidelines.

• Unbreak4ble

I’ve been examining your humble Bayesian Theorem.

Turns out you’re right. As the media and government stoke the populace with fear, it creates a negative effect on their psyche. This causes poor judgment as they react to imagined crisis.

The Covid fears are a perfect example. 

How does misinformation and wild speculation affect the trajectory. For instance what if everything is an over the cliff, catastrophic hand grenade?

• jfkoc
    edited May 2023

No, the guidelines we agreed to when we joined work one way. The moderators may not find your conservative thoughts are in violation so why not wait to see before you form your opinion which you have now stated is poitical.

It is a 3 day weekend which frequently means a lot of back and forth. If thread is shut down it will likely not be until Tuesday.

BTW...I aways post if I have flagged a comment with the reason why. I think it only fair but others flag and say nothing. It also provided the opportunity to contact the "flager" by message.

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Our whole world has been turned upside down with dementia. This forum does provide respite for so many of us. If a conversation is upsetting no one is forced to read it or participate in it. Name calling serves no purpose, but censorship is dangerous whether precipitated by the right or the left. As long as there is no vulgarity, I think the post should continue. We might learn something important even by staying silent, but we should not lose our right to hear it.

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    edited May 2023

Crushed seems to love to "stir the pot" when he introduces politics or other "left" leaning topics. He never seems to learn and I believe he's been suspended from posting in the past (not sure on that though). Invariably some folks take the bait and defend the opposing viewpoints. I've done that and maybe I'm doing that now.?

I find it refreshing that unbreak4able is speaking up. Democrat viewpoints tend to be tolerated or accepted on this forum until someone speaks up for the other side. A Republican or right leaning viewpoint is promptly called out. That speaks volumes in my opinion.

But there's no doubt in my mind that politics of any kind shouldn't be allowed on this forum. Period. Politics is not specifically prohibited by the current community guidelines. Maybe they should be. It's too much of a divisive topic on this forum and not helpful to the purpose here - even if political decisions effect caregivers or people suffering from dementia.

• Crushed

I realize some folks consider caring about the poor and helpless is leftist politics. I dont.

I have cared about the poor and helpless all my career

I cared about the Aduhelm scam

I care about good science Which was critical in covid

My field is science based safety regulation but I was also a professor in consumer economics.

Many many many commentators have pointed out that certain budget proposals would be devastating for the poor and sick .

But some folks think that is just fine

• Unbreak4ble

If you don’t agree with Crushed, you don’t care about the poor and helpless. I think that says it all.

Many many many commentators are on his side. How would that be possible if he wasn’t right?

I think the hyperbole and logical fallacies should be considered in his arguments.

• Unbreak4ble

jfkoc, so you and Crushed have been here long enough to know how to skate around the rules.

Just be careful of word choices and semantics. That shows what is intended by your post. Problem is, I’m intelligent enough to be able to read between the lines.

You examined my post for a “gotcha” and found it.

Congratulations.

• lqadams
    lqadams Member Posts: 51
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments 5 Likes

Like I simply stated in a previous post.

I don't appreciate politics, left or right, being in this forum. Enough said.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I have found much solace and help on this forum for several years. When I see a post from persons who have a political ideology, I merely skip their posts as my stress levels can't handle it. I know the posters who think they have all the answers to everything and I avoid reading their musings or proclamations.

• Unbreak4ble

Ok, I reread it. Turns out, you bested me. Nothing about Republicans or ideology at all.

There was no politics until I entered the discussion. My apologies and I am out of here.

• Crushed

I told EVERYONE about the risk of covid as I saw it.

Some folks perferred other sources

• BadMoonRising
    BadMoonRising Member Posts: 57
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DIL's father died, alone, in the ICU. My brother's elderly MIL was hospitalized with COVID after the residents in her Continuing Care Community decided they weren't going to follow any rules. Of course, the MIL infected my Bro and SIL with COVID. They were down for the count. I consider myself fortunate that my LO with dementia died peacefully at home six months before COVID hit.

Living in a state of denial sounds lovely, but the Caregivers on this board simply don't have that option.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more