Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Early onset and sleep problems

I have early onset and I am exhausted every day, I can't sleep more than 3 or 4 hours a night and I don't take naps. It's a vicious cycle! Any advise?

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited May 2023

Welcome inertia. I have the same problem, sleeping poorly. I believe this is a universal problem for people like us. I practice good sleep hygiene. I also take melatonin and L-theonine.

I have a CPAP machine but I have not been using it lately.

Some nights I get 4 hours, then on other night I will get 10 hours. It's like a roller coaster.

I still have not found a solution to my sleep problems, but I am still working on it.

Iris

• Janutt
    Janutt Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Hi inertia,

I too have the same issue as well! It’s like a roller coaster of sleep. Have you tried melatonin? I have done yoga for nighttime or I’ll do this daily to help me relax. Also meditation may help. Do you get outside and do any activities that you like? That may help you relax some

• inertia
    inertia Member Posts: 12
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

I have tried melatonin. I have been prescribed Belsomra which I was hoping would help with sleep but it doesn't work. I'm exhausted! I run 3 days per week walk 2 days per week each a 1-hour session, so I do get out.

• inertia

2mg Xanax lets me sleep for 3 or 4 hours but they say that messes with memories so ya can't win!

• Janutt

Are you stinking thinking about stuff? That will happen to me. Well I am glad you are getting out and running and walking. My goal is to get back to running again soon. I would practice breathing, yoga, and relaxation/meditation to help me sleep.

• inertia

nope, don't think about stuff cause I forget.

• Janutt

Have you spoken to a doctor about other suggestions? I would imagine this has to be very frustrating for you to not sleep more than 4 hours at night. I’ve had issues with sleeping as well. I have tried herbal teas and that will help me sometimes. I have gone for weeks at at a time for only one hour of sleep. I have done a sleep study test before and they were like yes you’re right you don’t sleep. I hope you get some sleep soon

• inertia

I have seen doctor yesterday, I'm starting trazadone tonight! The dr. said it may take a week or 2 to start getting any relief and it takes a couple of months to receive full effects of medication. I will keep everyone updated.

• Iris L.

I slept seven hours straight through last night, and I awoke at 6 am and felt good! Hallelujah! I got up, washed up, got dressed and went outside. I did my morning chores. I am out of my rut, at least for today! It's like a miracle!

Iris

• inertia

started trazodone last night. I did not sleep for a minute the entire night. My doc says it may take weeks or months for this medication to work!

• Iris L.

The doctor is right, trazodone is an antidepressant, and yes, it may take up to six weeks to see an effect. I believe when I took trazadone, I saw results in a shorter time. I have been on many different classes of sleep aids.

Since you can exercise, can you exercise to tolerance? Meaning, until you get exhausted? Then you will sleep.

Also, be sure you are practicing good sleep hygiene.

Don't stress about not falling asleep. I think about my to-do list, and I gradually fall asleep.

Can you do progressive muscle relaxation? This also helps me.

Iris

• inertia

2nd night on trazadone and I slept 3.5 hours. I'm exhausted!

• Janutt

I don’t take trazadone so I’m not familiar with it. I believe it takes some time to get into your system as Iris was explaining. Try not to stress about not sleeping because this will make it worse for you and you’re going to do stinking thinking of not sleeping. I feel your frustration about not sleeping. It’s a hit or a miss for me. Do whatever exercises or meditation that you can do safely. Keep us posted

• Iris L.

A hot tub bath (not a shower) can also help with sleep.

• inertia

the last 2 nights were better, 7 hours and 6 hours. I am hoping the medication is starting to kick in or I was just plain exhausted. Thank you all for helping.

• Iris L.

Good for you, inertia! I'm glad you are finally getting restful sleep.

Iris

• inertia

I hope everyone has seen Glen Cambell's "I'm not gonna miss you" video on youtube! I realize that I am getting close to that condition! it's a must see

• inertia

• Iris L.

Yes, that is a wonderful documentary of Glen Campbell and his family. Every PWD has an individual course. The Alzheimer's Association has a saying, if you see one PWD, you've seen one PWD. Some PWDs may have a more gentle journey. It helps to figure out and anticipate and meet needs as they change.

Iris

• Janutt

Well I’m so happy you’re getting some sleep now. It makes you feel better. I haven’t heard of the glen campbell video but I will have to check that out. Wish you lots of healthy sleep 😴

• AlzWontDefineMe
    AlzWontDefineMe Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

My doctor told me to take Melatonin. I looked it up and it is not recommended to take more than 10 mg. I've been taking 6 mg each night. But I was still waking in the night and having trouble going back to sleep. So I wondered if melatonin could be used alongside GABA. I saw in another forum that it could really help when used together. I tried it last night and I slept much better.

• Janutt

I started the trazadone back in the summer to have it not help me at all. I’m also taking 10 mg of melatonin too. I read something about tart cherry juice but I’m not if I read this right. Any thoughts about that

• Iris L.

Janutt, tart cherry juice is supposed to contain melatonin, but I could not find a reference for how much. I used to drink tart cherry juice for muscle pain relief, and it did help. Read about sleep hygiene and try to incorporate as much as you can.

I had used trazadone in the past and it did help. I have been a terrible sleeper and only recently am I making any improvement. I'm working on sleeping without sleep aids except for melatonin 10mg. Also I have been using a CPAP machine for sleep apnea.

Iris

• Janutt

Iris, I am on trazodone and 10mg of melatonin. neither of them help me. Today I did get some sleep, but I woke up in a fog. This fog happens almost every day. I too am a terrible sleeper. It has only gotten worse. I want to go back to running again, but I have been having falls. I went to the neurologist and she said I have peripheral neuropathy. She also said that trazodone and gabapentin are good. I also, went to the urgent care because of foot pain. They found a lytic lesion. It never ends. I also went to cardiologist to learn that I had multiple dissections from the SCAD and it will never go away.

I read about tart cherry juice but also read something about it can increase blood sugar. If you have diabetes not to take this. I am borderline pre diabetic. I hope that CPAP helps you.

• Iris L.

Janutt, you have multiple serious medical conditions, as do I. Unfortunately, I have found that in today's medical environment, medical care can be piecemeal, because each doctor treats only his or her area of the body, despite the fact that there is much overlap. You mention a lytic lesion of your foot, which I was unfamiliar with. I found that is can be associated with multiple myeloma, along with a few other conditions, or it may be a benign finding.

What I did for myself was to write down everything that was bothering me medical, and chart out what treatment was needed for each condition. Then I approached each treatment individually until I had a satisfactory response. This is ongoing, because in just this year I have had to add three new diagnoses with new treatments, in addition to my prior treatments.

I think all PWDs have poor sleep. Were you tested for sleep apnea? My CPAP treatment is helping me. Getting restful sleep must be a priority for people like us. I would also check your medications to see if any may have insomnia as a side effect.

Iris

• Janutt

Iris,

I have been tested for sleep apnea in the past to be told "oh you don't sleep" I stayed awake the entire time during the test. I have looked through my medications and some have been changed to either the day time now. The trazodone did help at the beginning but that was short lived. I have asthma now and I will take the inhaler before I go exercise, but the other day when I went to use this I accidentally hit my tongue. I quickly rinsed my mouth out. I have burning mouth syndrome. Boy, does this hurt!

• Iris L.

Ouch!

I too have erratic sleep. I have times when I am awake all night, then fall asleep around 6 am. Two nights ago I slept from 11 pm until 1 am, then I was wide awake. It's getting close to bedtime now but I am wide awake. I continue to work on trying to develop some degree of consistency in my sleep.

Iris

• Janutt

Iris,

last night I try to keep up with a sleep schedule. Last night I went to bed on time and around 3, I was up and I couldn’t sleep so I decided to text my youngest daughter while was working. She is good to respond when she can. I don’t like to bother her while working but she always doesn’t matter text if you can’t sleep and if I can respond then she will. I finally dozed off to sleep around 7am. I don’t like that because I try to get up early to help my DH with the grandkids. Today was only one so it wasn’t too bad. I will walk around the house in the middle of the night. I really try not to get up and walk around

• Iris L.

Janutt, I have discovered two techniques to help me fall asleep. The first technique is to mentally plan out what I will do the next day. I go into detail. This seems to quiet and focus my mind.

The second technique is progressive muscle relaxation. Both of these techniques work for me, but my problem is remembering to do them!

But there are times when I am wide awake, and I know these techniques won't eork at all. So, like you, I just get up and start my day early, then I go back to bed when I do begin to feel drowsy, hours later. I don't like this, but this is the situation.

Iris

• Janutt

Iris,

thanks for the tips! I will have to try these tips

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset