Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Bowel Incontinence Cleaning

Spirit Wave
Spirit Wave Member Posts: 1
Eighth Anniversary

Hello,

I have a routine with my LO involving changing her disposable underwear, and there often is a bowel issue that needs my cleaning attention.

Barely able to communicate and largely bedridden (she is elderly), I may not be able to prompt her to go to the bathroom on a schedule (but I will try btw).

We have no extra money beyond our standard living expenses for professional caregiving. I looked into a local program, but they sadly still cost too much money. If we had no money, then she gets full caregiving service. We are punished for having too much, but not enough, money. So I am on my own for now.

Our routine involves her removing her pants and underwear, and then she stands, while I attempt to wipe her clean.

I use Good Wipes, which are nicely large and soft, but it takes more than five wipes at times to clean her, and she loses patience with the process after those five wipes (insisting upon sitting down).

I added using a soft washcloth with a perenial cleaner, which helps, but there are times when I cannot achieve a clean enough result, and then she will explore that still-dirty region with her hands.

How do the professional caregivers efficiently clean someone who has a bowel movement in their underwear?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

When cleaning my mom I’d keep her sitting on the toilet most of the time. If she had to stand then I’d try to get her to lean over a bit while holding onto her walker, the cabinet or a grab bar. I used disposable wipes. Unfortunately she just needed to remain until done, grumpy or not. Eventually she couldn’t sit on the toilet at all because she couldn’t get up or down without fear debilitating her. At that point, even though she could still ambulate some, we changed to tabbed briefs (diapers) and I’d have to have her lay on the bed to change her. Pull-ups are very difficult to change while lying down. Then we’d get her back up and to the other room we’d go.

Id like to suggest you call for a hospice evaluation. With dementia, (since you’re here I assume she has?), the criteria isnt necessarily 6 mos to live. My mom was on it for almost two years and many dementia patients described here are on for more than 6 mos. if admitted you will both receive valuable support. They provide equipment, supplies, meds, nurse and CNA once to twice a week, social worker, clergy if wanted/needed and a Doctor. The CNA could definitely help you with the best way to get her cleaned up. They also have volunteer respite visitors to give you a break for a couple/few hours a week. Please look around for the hospice option.

Are you your LOs guardian/POA? Are all those legalities taken care of?

Im sorry for these struggles. You’re not alone here. I’m sorry no one has responded til now. There are so many wise and caring people here. Welcome! Please keep coming back.

• Linda_Miami
    Linda_Miami Member Posts: 24
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments

If she is mostly bedridden why not just change her in bed? You can get her really clean that way. I put a disposable pad underneath my mom and wash her with warm soapy water and paper towels.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more