Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I would give anything to have my mom comfort me for 2 minutes...

Littlebit79
Littlebit79 Member Posts: 1 Member
My mom is still in the early to mid stages of ALZ, and one of the most noticeable changes in her personality, is that she no longer shows concern for other people's feelings.

That's why it's so hard to spend time with her since my dad passed away in May - because she only talks about her own grief. I listen to her and hug her and comfort her, but sometimes I just want to yell out "What about me, your daughter?! I'm grieving too!"

It just feels so lonely sometimes, now that my dad is gone and my mom isn't able to care about my wellbeing or my feelings.
I'm a single mom with 3 kids, so I don't have anyone else to express my grief to either.

I really just miss my "real" mom, and wish I could have her back for a few minutes, so that I can cry on her shoulder and hear her tell me "I love you my sweet girl (as she used to call me), and I know you miss both me and your dad, but everything will be ok"...

I just needed to write this where I know someone else can relate ❤️

Comments

• Sandias
    Sandias Member Posts: 27
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary

Littlebit- I am sorry for your loss and pain. I can hear them in your words. It’s heartbreaking to be so alone and lonely.

You need to be among those who understand and appreciate what you’re going through. Please look into joining a local support group. Usually the hospital social workers might have information about the various support groups and services. Also, keep in touch with us here. Most of us have been in your situation or similar, so we totally understand.

• graham80
    graham80 Member Posts: 4
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

My mother is my backbone and always supported me and knows who I truly am as a person. I always went to her with my problems or if I needed advice, because my father was basically absent for the first 18 years of my life. That all changed with this rapid decline in her memory "Brain fart days" as she likes to describe it. She now has a lot of trouble dealing with anything stressful, so my father demanded that I no longer bring any of my issues to her attention ever again. It was extremely difficult for me to adjust to being mindful of what I put on her plate because she is unable to create new memories. I see her slipping deeper into this awful disease and the only way the two of us cope with it is humor. I know that one day it will take the woman that made me who I am today away from me, even though she may be with us physically. I miss my mother dearly and I know exactly what you are going through. My life wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for that amazing woman, and it will never be the same without her. This was extremely hard for me to write because I tear up with any thought of this, but just know that you aren't alone. I may not be able to make it better, but I'm damn sure going to make the best of the time we have left.

• AmandaGdnr
    AmandaGdnr Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

I'm so sorry for your pain. I hope you find a support group even if it's only on this forum that's what I'm doing. Sometimes we just need to know we are heard. Sometimes it feels like I'm screaming and no one hears me. My kids, my parents, my only living brother, my significant other ...it's overwhelming. I pray your Mom has a moment of clarity and gives you that acknowledgement you need and desire.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more