Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Delay in montelukast trials announcement

Since Alzconnected dropped the clinical trials discussions board in the new format, I decided to post here. The Emory University montelukast FDA trial for Alzheimers was completed in November of last year, and yet nine months later, there is still no announcement of results. It is hard to believe that they are still analyzing data in a trial that has only 32 participants.

I understand that results are often not announced in pharmaceutical company sponsored trials if the results are not favorable. However the montelukast trial was not sponsored by a drug company but by Emory itself. Emory has done hundreds of FDA trials and I would not expect them to hold back on this one.

Is the FDA envolved in delaying the announcement of results? Does this have anything to do with the approval and roll out of lecanemab and the upcoming approval of donanemab this year. The 2022 Congressional investigation into the FDA's approval of Biogen's Alzheimers drug Aduhelm shows that there are high level officials in the FDA who are ready to break FDA rules and give favorable treatment to certain drug companies. Certainly positive results for montelukast would be bad news for Biogen and others.

Many physicians, including my daughter, are waiting for the results. After the Covid pandemic, the trial was reduced from 150 to 32 participants, so it is too small to count for approval as an Alzheimers treatment. However montelukast is approved for asthma and some doctors will be willing to prescribe it off label in higher dosages for Alzheimers if the trial results are positive. They are waiting.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thanks, Larry. It sounds like someone is looking for a little more money to head their way. What a world we live in!

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,361
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I wonder if it's related to increased reports of serious mood and mental health side effects. There's been a trend towards discouraging its use for allergic rhinitis suggesting it be reserved for asthma patients.

FDA requires Boxed Warning about serious mental health side effects for asthma and allergy drug montelukast (Singulair); advises restricting use for allergic rhinitis | FDA

HB

• Lane Simonian
    Lane Simonian Member Posts: 348
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 2023

Thank you for the update, Larrytherunner. I check periodically for trial results for Montelukast, but it is good to know that you are here to keep us posted.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

That’s interesting! I used to take montelukast for idiopathic hives. I will try and follow the study as well

• Larrytherunner
    Larrytherunner Member Posts: 83
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

Harshedbuzz, the black box warning was a result of a 12 year lobbying effort directed at the FDA from Parents United for Pharmaceutical Safety and Accountability (they have facebook group and a website).This group lobbied the FDA to warn the public about montelukast's psychiatric serious side effects in a percentage of children - side effects such as agitation, depression, and suicidal thoughts. The vast majority of side effects reported to the FDA envolved children.

Mental side effects in children may be due to montelukast's effect on childhood synaptic pruning, which is the process by which immune cells in the brain remove neuro-synapses that are not being used. Montelukast may slow down the removal of these unused synapses. Older adults have long since stopped the synaptic-pruning process. Montelukast may help older adults keep their neuro-synapses that are under attack during the process of aging and chronic inflammation.

Regardless of side effects, doctors and other concerned individuals should be allowed to see the trial results. Side effects will be listed as a part of the clinical trial.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thank you for keeping us updated, Larry. A positive result for montelukast would be remarkable and well received by patients!

Iris

• Larrytherunner

Jgirl57, if you want to know more about montelukast, you can check out my website:

www.montelukast-repurposed.org

• Larrytherunner

Thanks Iris. You are one of the few people that have taken me seriously.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more