Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

End of the trail

Well here we are waiting my wife's life force to come to an end. The hospice sends a nurse to stay with the patient to the end. That is where we are now. It has been 4 weeks and 3 days since hospice came. I cannot count the times my wife's life force drain was obvious and I was certain she wouldn't make it until morning but she did. Her body is in great shape, it is her brain that is killing her and her body is trying very hard to stay alive. She stopped eating 3 days ago and I suppose that is when the death process officially starts. She was diagnosed 3 years ago but I think it started 10 years before that. In the early stages she was good at hiding in plain sight. It wasn't until her symptoms became obvious she was diagnosed. While I was going through the 3 years of care giving it seemed like an endless nightmare that would never end. All of a sudden seemingly in the blink of an eye I am hanging around waiting for her to die. What a surreal experience this has been. I made sure to mentally record all the good memories I could spending time with her. The last year even though she was impaired were actually very happy. The last 2 months not so much. I have read everything I can on grief and am prepared to tackle that obstacle with the tools I learned tackling the dementia obstacle. Meditation, exercise, breathing exercises, practicing stoic philosophy, keep learning new things. I am planning on turning our spare bedroom into drum room and learn to play music. There are a few more hobbies I have in mind to try out but keeping my brain learning new things is key. I have made friends with depression and sadness they come over from time to time but I let them go in the morning. My goal is to have a tranquil emotional set point. Happiness and sadness are transient feelings that will come and go. To be enjoyed or endured but always to return to tranquility. Thank you all for being here. This group has been a huge tool in my tool box in dealing with this experience. I will still lurk and continue to contribute to pay forward what I have learned here. Thank you all again.

Comments

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Bill, you are an amazing person. Its so challenging to be a caregiver to a loved one, but also to be praticing self care. I admire your fortitude and your ability to look ahead with positivity.

Maureen

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Bill, you have truly learned the meaning of and application of unconditional love. Your posts have been a source of strength for so many of us here. I pray that these last days pass with tranquility for both you and your beloved wife.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

So sorry Bill. Hospice told me that once my husband stopped eating it would take ten days. He passed away on the tenth day. I hope you pace yourself. I hope you are getting some sleep. Do you have anyone with you? My brother and my kids came , and although it was an awful week it was good to have someone in the house with me.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Bill, I'm sorry. I wish I could tell you it would get easier when it's all over, but that hasn't been my experience. It's hard all the way through this disease, and it's hard after.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Bill, praying for your strength and comfort during his time. She's lucky to have you. Cherish the memories.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Bill you and your wife are in my prayers and have been for a while. I can’t even tell you how much you have helped me in our journey with this horrible disease. For that I will always be grateful. Take care of yourself.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Thinking of you both Bill. I both long for the end and dread it. Peace to you.

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 175
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Bill, I've thought of you so many times in the past 4 weeks. Sending prayers that this next transition goes as peacefully as possible.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry Bill.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Sending you peace. You're an amazing husband and you've given tremendous care to your wife. You're in my thoughts.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Joining with this community in hoping your DW’s passing is as gentle and easy as possible. Your devotion and fortitude are a model for all of us

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Bill, I am so so sorry. I’m glad you weren’t alone. Peace for both of you now.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Bill I'm so sorry for your loss .

• Ed1937

Bill, I'm sorry for your loss. I know it's hard, but I can tell you that with time it will get easier. It will never be OK, but easier. You can be thankful that the end was peaceful.

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am so sorry, but so glad that the end was peaceful. Your life will be different. You will always miss her. But, the intense grief you feel now will lessen and you will find a new normal. It won’t be the same as before, but it will be good.

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Bill, I am sorry for your loss. I thank you for sharing your experiences and insights.

Dave

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

RIP to your beautiful wife. Hope you can find peace in knowing how you cared for her until the end xo

• A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Bill, peace unto you in your great loss. And thank you for all the wisdom you've shared with us. You've been an inspiration to me and many others.

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Bill your words are a comfort to us. Please know we send you comfort and love during this sorrowful time.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Bill, so sorry for your loss. May she rest in peace.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Bill, please accept my condolences in the loss of your dear wife.

Iris

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Bill Im glad that you didn’t have to wait any longer for her passing, but so sorry you have reached the end of the trail with the love of your life.

My condolences to you and your family. I hope you reach a place of peace in the future

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Bill, I'm so sorry for your loss. I pray that as you work through the grief you will also find peace and healing.

Tom

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Bill,

My heart breaks for you. You have been a wonderful caregiver and contributor to all of us. Please keep in touch. May your grief be short-lived and your joy and peace be a constant.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Your dear wife is gone from this world but the memories live on. I hope you find joy in remembering and speaking of her with friends and family who also knew and loved her.

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Today I had to go to the mortuary and fill out the "Death Certificate" form. That hit me in the head like a bat. I imagined my wife in her prime was sitting next to me cracking jokes and I felt better. I have been doing that all day now imagining her in her prime hanging out. I took the dog for a jog today and I imagined her jogging with us. Today is day one of the healing process. Pain level was pretty high but imagining her in her prime hanging out was really helpful. So was exercising and meditating. Last night when she passed I think I was full of adrenaline and pretty much numb by the experience. This morning I was a mucous factory. I feel pretty good now I can pick up her clothes without losing it. My phone has been dinging off the hook with texts from family offering condolences. So overall good first day.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Bill so glad her passing was peaceful and you had others with you. Her suffering is over now. So glad you can invision her with you. Pease and strength for you and your family! God bless you!

• Ed1937

Bill, I think if you can get a little comfort thinking about her like that, that's great! I'm glad you had a rather good day.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My sincere condolences to you on the passing of your DW. My the following days be filled with the best memories of your DW.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more