Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

when should caretaker prepare for incontinence in bed?

blues
blues Member Posts: 6
Ninth Anniversary First Comment

Hoping for some advice from the more experienced here... I've been reading posts about pads and adult diapers and getting up with a demented spouses at night, and while we're not really there yet (no accidents, he gets up by himself at night), I expect we will get to that point at some point in the future. I would like to avoid *even one* pee accident on our shared queen mattress which would soak up any liquid like a sponge -- I can't imagine ever getting it out. Should I start using incontinence pads now? Or is it generally true that men wet their pants during the daytime before they start to have nighttime problems? Posts on the start of incontinence (at least those I've found) don't actually seem to say how it started. I realize this might sound like a dumb question but I'm guessing that most of us didn't immediately jump to buy all the products we might need upon diagnosis -- we buy them as needed. But when you know you need a pee pad at night, it's probably too late for your mattress.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Tagged:

Comments

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hi Blues,

The first thing I did to prepare for "leaking" as the doctor called it, was to buy a waterproof mattress cover . Some people get one that zips, but i like the bamboo ones that are on Amazon, they are light weight, wash easily, and really work. Make the bed with that, a large quilted waterproof pad for his side, then your fitted sheet,and thats a good beginning. You will graduate to layering the bed, which is the only way to go when this takes over.

Good luck, and its good to plan ahead, but not too far ahead, as priorities change along the way.

Best,

Maureen

• Carmen M
    Carmen M Member Posts: 30
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

Before my LO became incontinent, I prepared the bed, recliner, chairs. I have a waterproof mattress cover along with the waterproof pad. I double the sheet but that always soaks thru. I also put those disposable pee pads on the recliner and anywhere else my LO sits.

In the beginning, my LO would leak when walking to the bathroom at night, even when wearing an adult diaper (DEPENDS). I finally purchased a wet vacumn to clean the carpet.

Good idea to buy all your supplies now because the incontinence will only continue and get worse.

Good luck!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney