Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Caring for Yourself

Wilted Daughter
Wilted Daughter Member Posts: 194
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

This is for anyone who is in the condition of doing more for others than you are doing for yourself. The following is a paraphrased summary of a message sent to me. Hope it helps.

There is and will always be unmet needs and no matter how many hours you work, how strong/gifted/smart you are you will never be able to handle them all. In caring for others you will get depleted and require time alone to recharge. It's okay to be depleted but NOT okay to stay/live depleted. Refresh yourself with things that refill your energy, strength and reflect on what refreshes you. Make your health and well-being a priority!

Tagged:

Comments

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,087
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hey, thanks for posting that - can I second that?!

• dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

In a selfless way, if you take care of yourself, you can be a better caregiver on the long-term. If you get sick or get in an accident when frazzled, it will be a bad situation, especially if you are the primary caregiver.

• Wilted Daughter
    Wilted Daughter Member Posts: 194
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I've learned that I cannot mimic the care of SNF which have better equipped staff with changing shifts. I jokingly refer to the house as a "nursing" home.

In all relationships there should be balance/breaks. You have to stay strong for yourself (primarily) and for those around you that need your assistance without stretching yourself too thin. I've been stretching myself thin for years.

Have a great weekend!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney