Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What stage do you think my DW in??

My wife was diagnosed 1yr ago “mild Alzheimer’s “. DW has short term memory loss , gets confused and was told not to drive.everything else she does to take care of her self. Did have her on Clinical Trial for 2 months but stopped. WANT STAGE YOU THINK SHES IN??????

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
  • Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

none of the health professionals have been willing to stage my DH. I’ve read every Staging Model available online and with each model there are drastically different “average durations” for each stage. If there is any accuracy within the models, I have a good idea what stage he is in. But still, irritates the heck out of me that throughout the years, as I’ve asked “where are we”…no one took the time to simply say “let’s have a look at where you are with DH today and help gauge where his dementia has progressed”. WHY? I am brutally aware we can’t predict the future, but there is undeniable clarity on the past and present. For caregivers, trying their best to endure and solely carrying the increasingly demanding weight of managing dementia, it is a tremendous disservice to not help stage their LO.

For me, I think in the beginning I knew we were a long way out to the really bad stuff. So I didn’t push with Drs enough. But we’ve been in the “bad stuff” era long enough that i struggle every day with how long this will go on. I have promised myself that on our appt in 2 weeks with Palliative team I will not leave without a candid, direct discussion with the PA about staging. I will not fear appearing desperate. I am.

Thankfully, It seems on this board that others have not had the same experience as i have. I would suggest, don’t be intimidated. Require answers where there can be answers. There isn’t an answer for all our questions, it’s the nature of dementia. But a discussion even in “generalities” can provide some insight and can help build expectations and realities to come. That alone can provide relief and support. Push for that.

All the best.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

It's very difficult to stage accurately as many symptoms can overlap with other stages. For the most part we, myself, are just doing an educated guess based on certain dementia assesment tools such as https://static1.squarespace.com/static/6372d16ea4e02c7ce64425b7/t/63f7b80d80d8aa3e3aa4a47d/1677178894184/DBAT.pdf

Our nuerologist uses the 3 scale method of Mild, Moderate and Severe. My DW is severe and my best guess is she is in stage 6 somewhere. My DW quit driving approx 4-5 years ago, just before Covid hit. She was probably stage 3 or 4. She also would get confused driving and have a difficult time finding her way. When she became "unsafe" I stopped her from driving at all, even with me in the passernger seat helping her. For a while I would take her to an empty, no traffic, area and let her drive around a little but never on the street after that. I hope this helps.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Marta thank you for your explanation. For the past two years, my dh’s psychiatrist has labeled him as moderate to severe. The last report that I got from him still showed moderate to severe, but our last Report showed severe. We will be seeing him again December 6 and my husband has really gone downhill since our last visit. Based on the seven stages, I have him as ending stage six and starting stage seven. Thank you very much for explaining why the doctors just use the three stages. Thank you helps me understand..

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Our neurologist gave me an estimated timeline re: how long each stage would last. Ex: last appt 5 yrs ago he said he would have about 2 yrs before DH got into the next stage. That seemed to hold true.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Marta That makes so much sense.

I will add another thought. As a spouses and other daily caregivers are likely the experts of "where" a PWD is currently, if they're observant and familiar with the typical progression, than a medical professional would be.

When we took dad to appointments, we scheduled for a time of day when dad tended to be his most cooperative and engaged so neither his neurologist nor geri-psych saw the combative mornings or the sundowning confabulations. At a certain point, dad would only shower if he was seeing a doctor and mom would outfit him in crisp khakis and Brooks Bros. button down rather than the food encrusted sweats he preferred. His language skills remained "amazing" (per SLPs who worked with him) and he showtimed like there was an Oscar in it for him which gave the impression that he at a less impaired place of the dementia continuum.

HB

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW in beginning but hides it well, hasn’t spoken to anyone, not ever daughters , of her issues

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

What issues?

Iris

• ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

You never really know. My DH was at late stage 4. Had a UTI that caused him to completely skip stage 5 and 6. Was in stage 7 for 12 weeks, then passed away. All of this happened in a 6 month time frame.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Charlie, We were the same way in the beginning. She didn't want anyone to know and she also was in denial. We never told her family but one day they, her daughter, son and sister, group called me on the phone and asked if she was having memory problems. At that point we couldn't hide it anymore and I said yes and for a couple of years. We should've brought them in to the struggle earlier on and they would've been more supportive I believe.

• charley0419

Our kids know matter of fact they noticed. But she never mentioned

• Razduck
    Razduck Member Posts: 13
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Marta, Thank you for your insightful explanation. Your words make a great deal of sense, especially what you said about us Caregivers. If my DW is in 4a or 6a Staging matters not. The key is that I’m totally tuned into her needs no matter what they are and that I’m here for her 24/7/365. I can tell from her reactions to me that she loves that I’m here for her. Even when I’m outside doing yard work, she will always come looking for me. I pray to god that this will not change, but in reality, I know that it will. The one thing that won’t change is my 1,000% commitment to her!

• charley0419

My feeling exactly, 54 yrs long time with someone who may forget you.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Charley, in your DW's mind, she has no diagnosis, there is nothing wrong with her. This is not denial, this is anosognosia. She doesn't see what you see.

Iris

• charley0419

Just leaning about that

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited November 2023

How about now: My shorthand way to prepare caregivers for what is to come is to direct them to these boards.

Ten years ago when I first came to these boards, I found them on my own - husband’s neurologist and neuropsychologist and PCP did not refer me.

He was also in a clinical trial at a major medical center where no one mentioned these boards.

AA may need to connect with the medical community.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I'll second Martas feelings about these boards being an unrecognized resource. Neither of the two local support groups i attended was aware of them until i brought them up, and neither group was nearly as helpful as this forum has been.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

With DH's fluctuations, I totally understand why he can't have numbered stages attached. We're going with Early, Middle, and Late. With LBD, symptoms appear from all three stages at different times. That's the best we know for now. His arm tremors have stopped...go figure. Didn't take meds for Parkinson's symptoms. Still walks very slowly like 10 years older. Urinary incontinence started last November. Who knows?! Just one day at a time. But I know the late/final stage will be more visible and concrete.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I found this website in the back of one of the books I had read. Honestly it took me months before I had the nerve to check it out. The best thing I have done in this journey! Don’t think I could have made it without this forum! I don’t write much lately, not because dh has gotten better, that will never happen and we all know it, but he has been a lot more demanding of my time. He has gone through a lot of progression the last 4 months!

• Brokenhearted in Illinois
    Brokenhearted in Illinois Member Posts: 70
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes

I agree . No one helps you prepare for what lies ahead. So many people are making a living off of dementia patients snd their families but offer no valuable information or help. So frustrating. If I see one more inverted list in my mailbox I am going to scream !

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more