Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Caregiver Burnout Direct Link to Injuries

Wilted Daughter
Wilted Daughter Member Posts: 194
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I've posted about burnout, needing a break, etc. but never thought this would happen.

On 11/6 while clearing leaves, mulching I tried to clear leaves from the mower's shoot and partially amputated 2 fingers on my dominant hand. Surgery on 11/10...left me in pain, unable to use one hand, completely care for myself never mind care for my mother.

Placed mom in short-term care (30-45 dys) yesterday while I take care of myself. Every time she goes there is grumbling on the day of...I could not ride with her in cabulance nor go to the facility to sign docs. I informed the facility that I'm unable to drive or use my right hand and to send docs electronically (email), we went back and forth for hours between phone, email, and text. Finally I said no texting, send requests, etc. to email for 24 hr. response to non emergency requests and I'll be looking for available beds at other SNFs.

Mom says she understands but is extremely needy, demanding...I can't go back and forth visiting her while I'm trying to take care of myself. 😶😑

Tagged:

Comments

• dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited November 2023

I'm very sorry to read about your injury. You have been doing all you can for your mom, it's terrible that such perseverance has led to this.

Thanks for sharing this so that others can try to avoid the same kind of accident from burnout.

• SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 1,087
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh, no, WiltedDaughter - so sorry to hear about that.

Agree - you need to take care of you!

• Wilted Daughter
    Wilted Daughter Member Posts: 194
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Burnout is real and can lead to bad things (health issues, accidents, etc.). Live-in caregivers are at risk more than people know. Beware & Be careful.

#MeFirst

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Such a painful injury, I'm so sorry.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,348
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I am so sorry.

• Anonymousjpl123
    Anonymousjpl123 Member Posts: 680
    500 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

That really sucks. I hope you feel better soon. PLEASE do whatever you need to and can do to take care of yourself. You did nothing wrong: this is exhausting stuff and it’s nearly impossible to avoid burnout I think. I hope you can give yourself a break from visits.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more