Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Third person

Hello, I am brand new to this and am overwhelmed. My DH was diagnosed with moderate stage dementia in April and last night had another episode of thinking he was not at home. He was trying to leave at 2:00am. This morning he started speaking to me in the third person. I am afraid to sleep because he may wander. Any suggestions?

Tagged:

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

If your not considering placing. Door locks up high work. I went thru that. Always wondering if she was gonna get up in the middle of the night. What about you? You need sleep as well. I have heard of others sleeping when the lo slept.

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

This illness has no routine, my DW diagnosis 1yr as go mild Alzheimer’s and only asking same questions and gets confused but nothing like yours yet.

they have mates on line that you put by bed and sends Alarm to phone I think

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Sorry, this is happening. You must be exhausted.

Make sure you share the new behaviors with her doctor as meds may help. Also check for a UTI as new or extreme behaviors can be a symptom.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

In addition to the above, learn about fiblets and start using them. I still have trouble using fiblets because it’s part of our relationship with our spouse to be honest. On one of the YouTube videos I watched they made the distinction between lying to deceive vs a fiblet to relieve the fear. So for example, you could tell your husband that you are in a vacation rental place and it’s ok to stay. Or you’re staying at a friend’s house until the plumber fixes the leak and turns the water back on. Something to make him feel that it’s ok to be there.

we live in a townhome and even tho there are several doors out of the house, there are only 2 ways off the property - thru the garage or out the front gate. Our doorbell is by the front gate so I changed that to a ring camera doorbell (there are several different brands). And I turned on the motion sensor alerts so I’ll get notification if he leaves the house.

I haven’t found any info about a database for vulnerable adults in our county sheriff’s dept but I did take a recent picture of him (which I guess I need to update) in case he does wander from home and I need to give a description of him. There are bracelets for PWD to wear that have the person’s diagnosis and a number to contact. I haven’t gotten one for my husband because he won’t wear it. Notify your neighbors of his illness and ask them to contact you right away if they ever see him out without you. Make sure they have your phone number.

Keep reading posts on this forum. There are lots of posts with practical info in them. And lots of posts about the emotional roller coaster we all live on.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more