Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Simple Universal Remote

I am looking for a simple, large button, remote control that handles the TV, Cable box, and sound bar. Mom is still in the milder dementia days and finds two remotes too difficult to remember. Unfortunately the remotes I'm finding by Googleing only control two things not three. I was hoping people in the group can recommend a good remote control. I would also like to know ones to avoid.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Emily 123
    Emily 123 Member Posts: 747
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions

I'd ditch the sound bar, myself. She may struggle with whatever you choose, but if you can get it down to 'on/off' and Volume/Channel 'up/down', with large buttons you might have success. The ability to use new technology can go sooner rather than later (and by that I also mean new models of things like remotes or phones).

• JMack88
    JMack88 Member Posts: 40
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

I understand your reasoning. However, we just got the sound bar because she kept complaining that the TV sounded "mushy" and she couldn't understand it. We only hear that once in a while with the sound bar installed. We will talk to her doctor about getting her hearing tested next routine visit.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,701
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Agree that the chances of finding something she can use are not high, especially with wanting three functions.. Remotes and telephones are high on the list of first things to go. Sorry to be pessimistic.

• dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited November 2023

I totally agree that it many of these remotes will be difficult to use for most PWD. I used to have a "universal remote" and it was clumsy to use.

Universal remotes are less popular as a category these days. Having said that, there is a review of some products from Wirecutter of the New York Times. Plus I found one on Amazon for seniors. I don't have personal experience using that one though.

The tricky part is that remotes mostly used to be mostly Infra-Red control (IR). These days, you may also have Bluetooth or Radio Frequency (RF) control, and even Wi-Fi. So your remote better be compatible with what you have.

As for your Mom's hearing, while a sound bar is needed in many homes since built-in TV speakers are really bad these days, have you considered a wireless remote headphone, in case she is starting to get hard of hearing? Here is a review also from Wirecutter. If you need to have the volume on very high just for mom, this can make things a little less noisy for others in the room.

Incidentally, a remote for a sound bar is not necessary if you can use the TV remote's volume control since that may adjust the TV's output to the input of the sound bar. Of course, for controlling special features for the sound bar, like "voice enhancement", you'd need the sound bar remote. I have experience with that, with a Sony TV and a Yamaha Sound Bar.

It's good that you will have your mom's hearing tested. You can even do some at home by yourself with a smart phone app and headphones, if you can't wait until your next routine visit. The results are reasonably good.

• JMack88
    JMack88 Member Posts: 40
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Thanks for all the helpful comments everyone! I appreciate all the insights from those who've been there ahead of me. Can anyone tell me if it's possible the "mushy" sound is related to her brain deterioration or if it's more likely to actually be hearing impairment? I'm leaning toward hearing impairment simply because several people on her side of the family were deaf as posts. Of course none of them would use hearing aids either so it was really obvious.

@dancsfo I don't think she'd use headphones because "they will mess up my hair." She's always been very conscious of her appearance and that is continuing into the present. She insists on getting her hair done weekly at the salon.

We are currently using the Verizon Fios remote for the TV and cable box. The speaker bar has a different remote. Unfortunately the Fios remote only controls 2 things therefore we can't add the speaker bar to it. I attempted what was suggested about just using the TV remote to control sound and after hours of working on it and calling tech support for help it just wasn't possible.

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited November 2023

If your mother has been using her current tech for a while and now cannot then you will likely get the same complaints about a new remote being too hard. A remote capable of doing all 3 is probably going to be way too complicated for her to learn. Many folks come here asking for help finding easier technology (remotes, cell phones, microwaves, etc) and it's usually futile; the reason they are asking is their PWD's ability to figure out even familiar technology has degraded. They forget how to use the things they have used forever like phones and ovens. The TV may be a struggle until her care situation changes to full time supervision and someone is always nearby to help her.

Many TV speakers are really hard to hear dialogue. I have great hearing and struggle with set ups that don't have a sound bar or external speakers. Many young people even use close captioning these days. My MIL (no dementia but bad hearing, elderly and not tech savvy) is enjoying the set up we got for her. It's a Rouku TV with Roku sound bar. The sound bar requires no thought or action, it's always on when the TV is and no extra remote since it's controlled with the TV's remote. It seems like the most user friendly system I can imagine. The remote only has a few buttons. The TVs are not expensive right now. But again, it's a gamble that spending any money on the TV situation will help anything.

• frankay
    frankay Member Posts: 37
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

A couple of people in DH's MC use a Flipper TV remote and seem to be able to use it. I don't think my DH could use it because he doesn't understand the concept of different channels, but it only has 5 control buttons on it. Google Flipper TV remote. Amazon has it. I wish I had seen it in the early days.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more