Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sister with dementia

Laura L8329
Laura L8329 Member Posts: 1 Member
My sister is 67 y/o and lives about 100 miles from me. My mother recently passed and I have been dealing with her ALZ the past few years. Although I have other siblings, it falls heavily on my shoulders.
My sister lives alone in a smaller town. Her husband died in Jan 2022. Her son lives in San Antonio and actually has moved her there and she was so angry that he brought her back home to California. Approx 1/2 years ago. She is alone. She doesn't remember that her husband died. He actually had an affair at one time and THAT is what she remembers and thinks he left her to go be with his girlfriend. Now, with my mom's recent passing, she calls me all the time and asks when is the funeral (it was last month and I went to get her for it, she spent two days with me) and today called to ask if we were going to see her in the board and care for Thanksgiving. I did tell her that she had passed because she said she was driving over here. (Provider took her license awaya and she called someone in Sacramento and convinced them she does not have dementia and they returned her license to her!
So, anyway, the point of my post. Any ideas on how I can get her to live near her son? He has POA. He keeps talking about it but doing nothing and his wife is now pregnant so it will be harder for him to just come out and check on her. He does do that often. Just for a weekend. Fixes the remote or the toilet that she has messed up. But he does not get the severity of the situation. She has alienated her neighbors by going to their homes 10-15 times a day and asking the same question. She retired about 10 years ago due to her dementia so not new issue. Just being alone now for almost 3 years. Any ideas?

Comments

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Oh my. So many issues to deal with. It must feel overwhelming.

Driving must stop before someone gets killed. Car can be removed (with a fiblet) or disabled or keys can be removed. ASAP.

I wish I had advice re her living situation. She certainly sounds unsafe living alone. Is paperwork in place? I fear someone will have to take charge soon. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I hope others can offer advice.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more