Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

So Where Do We Go From Here? This is an old thread revisited

RickM
RickM Member Posts: 115
Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

Originally posted Jan 4.

There's a number of us here dealing with spouses in stage 7 and a few folks still hanging out who are now in stage 8 (spouse has passed). I'm hanging in stage 7, my wife's in MC, so I have time to think about what's next, i.e, what am I gonna do when I'm in stage 8, and my spouse is no longer in my life.

As of yesterday, August 18, I'm now in stage 8 so I've added a comment below the original comments in January.

I had a great 40 years with my wife. We met at the right point in our lives, had of a shot gun romance, moved away from our families (mainly because I wanted to live in the northwest) and lived a great life. Furthermore, we eventually were blessed with a son who is a great person. We retired early. And then Alzheimer's hit. First my mom and then my dad. Now my wife.

I can see the end in sight for our life together and that now I have to figure out what's next. I've got plenty of hobbies, plenty of friends, and plenty of ideas, but, I'm finding a lack of motivation.

So I figured I'd throw out the question: What are you that are in stage 8 doing or want to do? What gets you motivated to get going on that "new life"? And for you folks still in stage 7. What are you looking forward to? Or, are you, like me, not quite sure what will be next.

I have this feeling that I've done what I've wanted to do so I'm having a hard time getting motivated to figure out what's next.

And, yes, I feel very fortunate and am grateful for the life my spouse and I have had.

Let's make this an exercise to make us realize that there is a life beyond "Dementia Land" and to start making plans for what we'll do once we get there. Maybe this will make the journey a little less burdensome.

I'd love to hear your plans.

Rick

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Great question Rick. Our timeline was 30 years, not 40. I will face the challenge of downsizing and selling our farm, because it will need a new steward and is not practical for me to age in place. A romantic piece of me would love to move away and start over somewhere new-primarily to right some old wrongs and errors in judgement. But i fear that may prove neither wise nor feasible, so where I'll end up is very up in the air. And what i will do with that time-many things i hope for, health willing, including possibly some volunteer opportunities. I'd love to do Doctors without Borders but don't know if my health will allow it. Undoubtedly those granddaughters will figure into the decision. Possibly my son's plans also, as it appears a wedding is now in his future too. Almost easier to say what i don't want: while i crave friendship I don't envision another relationship, and i don't want to be a caregiver again. I want to land somewhere easy to care for and that will minimize the burdens i put on my children later in life. A CCRC perhaps?

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

My hubby died just weeks before the COVID-19 shutdowns started. That was fun (NOT!!!!). I had thought about what I would do once he was gone. Almost nothing that I thought I would do has come to pass. I did start an Alzheimer’s/dementia caregivers support group at my church. It's small, but it is meaningful. I have spent more time with my family (four children, two granddaughters, two brothers and their kids). I just let the Lord lead me. He knows where I'm most needed.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

As my DW begins to tiptoe into Stage 5, I already find myself thinking about what I'll do next. I know this is an utter fantasy and partially delusional of me. I have years ahead with her decline and that's really what I'll be doing. Apparently, I need to find these little escapes to the daunting path ahead for me.

So far, I see animals and fostering them in my future. I'm a former D1 athlete and think working with young women interested in sports could be something. I imagine traveling and know I can do that alone, but don't really enjoy that as much. I have several friends who never married, so could have some travel partners. That's about as far as I've gotten.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I am a little over 8 months into stage 8. Prior to DH's passing, I hadn't given much thought to what the future in Stage 8 would look like and even less thought to planning for myself in Stage 8. I guess I was too busy trying to keep my head above water after caring for DH at home 24/7 for 11 1/2 years. Once he was placed in a MCF, I had some time to ease into stage 8. I appreciated the luxury of being able to leave the house for an appointment, lunch, grandkids' activities, shopping, etc. without having to make detailed plans or just forgoing the activities altogether. For 17 months, he was 40 miles away, cared for by others and yes, there was definitely a sense of newfound freedom. He hadn't known me or any family members for some time prior to placement; he slipped away little by little by little and still, I didn't plan or look forward to Stage 8. I just existed - - a visitor, his wife, maybe a familiar voice.

So here I am. With his passing, I no longer travel weekly to the MCF to hold his hand, feed him, shave him, stroke his hair.......and truth be told, not much has changed in my life. At 77, although I am physically healthy and fairly active, I enjoy the simpler things in life that, had DH lived, we would most likely share together. (Except for golf- - my knees are wonky.) I enjoy the grandkids and their activities, traveling to visit the "out of staters", and above all, our little beach house at the Jersey shore, although spending time there will never be the same again. I would like to think that having had a great life with DH for over 55 years, with no regrets, my life is complete; I am content and at peace. I would wish that for all my forum friends.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Rick, We are both in the same point of the Alz journey, DW is in MC and at stage 7. Even though she is at stage 7, she is otherwise very healthy and I believe this journey is going to continue for quite awhile. I visit her 5 days a week even though she is mostly nonverbal and no longer know who I am, but she still loves to dance when there is music and I feel dancing is our last connection.

The one thing I will do is sell my house and buy another one. We purchased this house in the very early stages when my DW was still functioning. This was the house of her dreams and it worked great for us as the disease progressed. We had moved from a two story to a single story house, from a heavily traveled main road to a cul-de-sac and to a neighborhood where we have great neighbors. All these things made caring for DW as the disease progressed much easier, especially when she began wandering. But for me there a very few happy memories here and many, many ghost of the Alz journey. I can’t see myself living in this house with all its difficult memories, I feel I need a fresh start.

DW & I planned on traveling extensively when we retired. Although we did get some traveling in during the early and mid stages of the disease there is still many unforfilled destinations on our bucket list. If the MC does not take all our funds, then I will travel but I will sorely miss my traveling partner.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hello to all.

I am about 10 weeks into stage 8, so pretty new, but can share a few things. I was sole caregiver, 24-7, had minimal outside help, and was also working from home and, as we all know, was managing every aspect of our daily lives. My husband died at home, and the back portion of the house had become a hospital setting, so there was a lot of work to do to change the atmosphere around here. The energy required after all those years of sleep deprivation was a big push, and i had a lot of adrenaline working to make things happen. I'm still sorting through all kinds of things, finding lost objects, searching for items that I had to hide (still can't find the remote for a BOSE cd player that I bought for him, which he never used) Truthfully, I think I threw it away in one of my kinetic episodes.

In addition, in order to be able to afford to remain in my own home, I've rented out the upstairs , which is working out, and helping to reduce my stress levels.

So, that describes actions taken, but feelings and state of mind are another matter. Emotions have run the gamut from feeling relief, getting angry, feeling nothing, feeling sad, feeling socially alienated, the list is endless. I have a hard time remembering the person I married. He left a few years back, and this other guy moved in who didn't have a wife. So only recently am I beginning to have a flash of a good memory, and i'm thankful that these little vignettes are popping up. I was beginning to think that all had been erased from my brain as well as his.

Plans for the future? Well, I'm taking better care of myself, paying attention to my appearance, getting enough sleep for a start. Forcing myself to get out and socialize , and believe me, after so many years of relative isolation this feels weird. Fortunately I enjoy my own company, love reading, playing the piano, singing, and teaching others to do the same. I do want to travel a bit, and i'm lucky to have a daughter to accompany me, so maybe a trip in March... we're in the planning stages.

We all handle grief differently, and just because we don't appear to be falling apart, doesn't mean we are un feeling. I get this vibe a lot from some family members who are more demonstrative than I am. My advice so far is to listen to your SELF. Grief counseling can be very helpful, and whatever you are feeling or not will be validated. Navigating the waves of time is a slow process and right now I'm just drifting along.

Peace in the New Year,

Maureen

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

There are always a few threads here on caregivers' attempts to move on, particularly before their SO has passed. I haven't been able to get there. My DW is well into Stage 7, on hospice, non-ambulatory, and needs hand feeding. Yet the RNs who see her regularly always report that she is "otherwise" pretty healthy (however that can be considered possible). So, will she live another week, month, year, decade? Very few here seem to have lost their LO as a direct result of dementia itself (BattleBuddy comes to mind), as opposed to collateral issues such as pneumonia or heart issues. But that is where DW seems headed.

This makes any fantasizing about the future pointless for me. DW and I have been together for 50 years and were each our first and only loves. Although I know that at some point, I must carve out a solo life, pondering it holds little interest to me, I think I'll just wait until the time comes to deal with it.

In the meantime, I plod aimlessly through each day, with a routine of exercise and a healthy diet, so that I can continue to support her in her MCF and advocate for her as I can. I'm trying to keep up with cleaning and repairs on our house, but I do it begrudgingly. Travel, socialize...not yet for me.

I am truly glad that there are those of you who can plan for a brighter future, and maybe one day I'll join you.

• Bluebird
    Bluebird Member Posts: 44
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I’m not close to this stage yet but years ago I worked in a small shop and a man came in who lived 500 miles away. When I asked him what brought him so far from home and he said his wife had recently died after his taking care of her for 10 years. He said while he was caring for his wife he would dream about the places he would travel to when his wife no longer needed him. He then said since his wife now no longer needed him he was making his dreams come true.

I would love to do as that man did but worry that by the time I reach stage 8 I’ll be too old and lack the motivation to do the things I dream of now.

• BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 73
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

I am not there yet but I can't imagine ever being as close to my adult kids as I once was. Some of them have not been supportive at all. I have done a lot for them, but they are absent during all this. That makes me sad,, but I guess it is just another casualty of this disease. My wife just wants to be home with no excitement from grandkids visiting and as time goes by I am becoming comfortable not having those relationships. I have thought about what's next, but I have no idea what it will be.

• BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 73
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 666
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I think about that almost every day. I only hope my health will hold up so I can eventually answer that question. A lot I would like to do, mostly enjoy quiet mornings with coffee, quiet days and quiet evenings without having to worry about being a caregiver. I'd like to travel a bit, IDK I want to feel free but at the same time I also realize I will be very lost for a while.

Sell the house and downsize to small place I can pay outright but more than likely I'm going to feel much more lonely and lost than I realize and not do much of anything as far as what might be on my bucket list. I don't have kids of my own so I'll be completely on my own. Part of me looks forward to that and the other part doesn't.

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I lost my wife 16 months ago. She had early onset Alzheimer's that took her life after 31 years of marriage and roughly 7 years of me being her 24/7 caregiver. I used to try to imagine what I'd do after she died. I have to say that this has been nothing like I imagined. Much of the first year has been like others have said... Terrible sadness, incredible emptiness, no motivation, and kind of feeling like I was paralyzed in some ways.

But I'm doing better now, feeling better. Not great, but better. Absolutely nothing is like it used to be, and I doubt it ever will be. That's hard to accept. I used to empathically say that I never wanted another relationship. I wasn't looking for it, but I recently did end up in a serious relationship; however, I ended it because it just didn't feel right. I will always love my wife and feel as though she's still with me... even though she's gone. I'm pretty much a loner, I haven't reconnected with lost "friends". I'm slowly getting back into some of the things I used to do, like fishing and hunting. My parents are still living and I've enjoyed being able to travel to spend some time with them. I also spend more time with my two kids. Otherwise, it's just me and my dog. I do think things will continue to get better.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

My husband passed two months ago. He had been in memory care for a year and a half so I had time to decide what I wanted to do. I love my house and my town so moving was not an option. Our friends were couples so I made a conscious effort to meet new people. I landed in a group of 20 women who are either single or widowed and they have been my lifeline. I go for lunches, walks, kayaking and blues venues. I have even taken some trips with them. It has been strange because my husband and I rarely even traveled with another couple let alone shared hotel rooms with people we had just met. I talk to my daughter daily and his illness brought us closer. I have a support group that has a fluid membership. In Nov and Dec four of us lost spouses. I will keep on but most won’t. At the same time we have two new members who will be joining us in two weeks. I definitely do not want another relationship. I would love to add men into my friend group but strictly as friends. Whenever I get depressed I remind myself of what I do have and I can pull myself out of it. I miss my husband a lot but I miss the man he was not the poor soul sitting in a wheelchair who didn’t know anyone and could no longer speak or walk.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

@Gig Harbor ,

I am sorry to read of your DH’s passing. I must have been under a rock and missed your post at the time, if you did post. I would think of you often, as well as of others whose LO’s were in placement.

I am happy to hear that you are doing well and beginning to enjoy life again, in spite of your circumstances. I agree with so much of what you’ve posted. We (you and I) had a bit of time to ease into Stage 8, and as much as I love and miss DH, I am grateful to have had the outlet of grieving along the way. It didn’t make his passing any easier, but I had a little breathing room to plan and prepare. I am thinking of you and praying for you as you go forward.

• M1

Very early days Jeff.

I've started a list of things i might want or not want in a new home. Kinda random, but it's an exercise in speculation. It's a short list as yet-but no stairs is on it, for instance. Great kitchen. walk in shower. I just add things as i think of them. It is hard to think of moving when the kids and grandkids love it-my four year old granddaughter said recently that she "just loves being a farm girl.". But 150 acres is ludicrous for one person and one dog.

I actually love to travel alone or as part of a group tour, if the destination interests me-might end up being a nice way to meet people.

I bet you'll figure it out. Dogs are good company and I hope your (?girl?) Is holding up. Nature, time, patience will do their healing work.

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

Thank you to all of you. Many of your responses brought tears to my eyes. I now have a better understanding of my difficulty in finding motivation to move on. Not only do we suffer a terrible loss but we have to endure a terrible experience.

Thoughts and prayers to all of you. I hope we all find something that will help us survive.

And, Ed, who says there needs to be more to life than caring about a 3 month old German Shepard Puppy? I don't know, but it sounds like a good place to start.

Rick

• M5M
    M5M Member Posts: 114
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Rick, it is good to read “I did find joy in doing the best I could…”. I believe that, too, God gives me patience and insight when mine is worn thin. I take comfort knowing I will remember this journey as one where I gave support to DH. It makes the negative days have a bright part!

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am sorry for your loss. Be kind to yourself!

• M1

condolences Rick, may stage 8 bring peace. You were a wonderful caregiver for her.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Rick—

I am sorry for the loss of your dear Melissa.

HB

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So, so sorry to hear of the death of your dear wife. I think we all believe that suddenly the clouds will part when we exit Dementia Land, but I understand it's not that way. Wishing you peace as you discover what's next.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Peace for stage 8 and I hope you have a wonderful time at your son’s wedding .

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Rick, I'm so sorry about the loss of your wife. I wish you peace and joy as you move forward.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more