Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

So Where Do We Go From Here? This is an old thread revisited

2»

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 19

Rick, I’m sorry for your family’s loss. Please continue to find joy where you can.

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

So sorry for your loss.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Peace, comfort and strength to you. You were a warrior for Melissa and you have been a huge help to so many of us. Take care.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Rick, my deepest condolences on the passing of your dear wife. Wishing you peace.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Rick, My sincere condolences on the loss off your wife Melissa. May you find some peace and joy on the road ahead.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Rick, so sorry for your loss. She was lucky to have you. My DH passed peacefully Monday August 12. He was diagnosed in 2021 and I had to place him in memory care in January due to my cancer diagnosis. He moved quickly from Stage 6 to Stage 7. The last 6 weeks he went downhill quickly. I miss him so much it hurts but am thankful he’s no longer suffering. I hope to travel again. We spent the last 20 years traveling in our RV. I will visit family in other states and see our new great grandchildren. I moved in with my daughter & son-in-law so I don’t have a home to care for. I miss that. I like doing genealogy so I’ll start that again. I’d like to volunteer at the VA veterans nursing home where my husband received excellent care but I’m not ready for that yet. I will do things to honor him. We were married almost 39 years. Unfortunately I’ll have scans every 3 months to make sure the cancer isn’t back. Live every moment. Your wife would want that. Sending hugs.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I hope you adapt quickly to Stage 8, finding new meaning, purpose and enjoyment. I am close behind you and I hope my attitude to the transition is as positive as yours is.

• clarinetist
    clarinetist Member Posts: 132
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

So sorry to hear of your wife’s passing. Best of luck in stage 8.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Rick, I’m sorry for your loss. I thank you for reposting this thread as part of letting us know.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Rick, Deepest Sympathy to you. I too am in stage 8 as of last Nov. We were married just shy of 40 yrs and he had been in MC for 15 months . Prior to that I took care of him for over 7 yrs and he had brain surgery almost 6 yrs ago and of course that made his Alzheimer's advance. I am in the independent living apartment we shared for 5 yrs as I had to sell the house after his brain surgery and his rehab. The MC was in another bldg next door.

I too am sure I gave him the best care possible. I soon will be 85 and really don't have the resources financially to do any traveling and I also have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome so I am not very peppy. I have family who live far away but they do come to visit every few months. This may sound weird but he is buried in a cemetery that is just a few blocks away. I visit him every so often and am so relieved he no longer has to suffer from this horrible disease. He was diagnosed 7 and 1/2 yrs ago. Truthfully I don't know how I made it physically and of course have had some bouts of crying but I am doing ok now. We had a fabulous life prioe to the diagnosis and he retired at age 58. He died at age 93. I am hoping you too can find some joy in life and it sounds like you are making great strides toward that goal.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 794
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Peace be with you.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 20

@RickM I am just now seeing your post. My heart goes out to you. Even though it is a relief for both you and your precious wife to finally be free of this disease, I am so very sorry — for Dementia Land — for everything it entails.

I wish you peace, health, and the time and space to grieve and recover fully. You have been a great caregiver and spouse to her, and a valued forum mate. Sending virtual hugs at this tough time.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Rick, I am so sorry for your loss. May you find strength and peace as you continue on your journey.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Rick, I am so sorry for your loss. Peace and strength to you and your family.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Rick, I'm sorry about the loss of your Melissa. May you find peace and comfort in the days ahead.

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

Thank you all. Much love. Please do your best to keep from letting this disease take two people down. Make your survival a priority. Your spouse will not survive.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Rick,

As usual, I am late to the party, but I wanted to offer my condolences on the passing of your DW. I am 16 months into stage 8; the grief never leaves, but it’s not debilitating. I think of it as terminal sadness, But there is definitely life after dementia land; there is happiness, joy, and peace if you are open to it. Having been released from the rigors of caregiving, I find solace in the simplest activities. (Coffee on the porch on this glorious August morning.) You will soon, as well. Enjoy your son’s wedding, take one day at a time, and don’t look back. It gets better, I promise. ❤️

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more