Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Am I expecting too much? Home health aides

We've had agency aides coming in for a couple of months now. We went through a few at the beginning because the aides sent really didn't know how to work with PWDs. We finally got a gentleman who was great with my husband. But he's become quite erratic. He often comes late and missed a few days mid-december (one where he just didn't show). Then he was out sick all of Christmas week. He was back yesterday. Today, 5 minutes after his shift was supposed to start, I got a call from the agency that he's not coming because I have a cold. They're going to try and get a sub, but I'm not optimistic. We're still trying to get coverage for the days he doesn't work, but haven't had luck yet.

I'm trying to go back to work. How can I hold down a job when I can't count on the aides to be here? Am I being realistic in expecting the aides to show up?

Tagged:

Comments

• mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Yes, you’re being realistic, IMO. Having two different services sometimes helps. Our situation was a pretty easy gig for caregivers so we finally got a few from the same company that would regularly show or they sent a sub.(I disliked training a sub each time, until the same subs would come too.) Yet, the company better be sending a sub for you. The general manager showed a couple of times to make sure I was covered until someone else could come in. We used Seniors Helping Seniors mostly for moms last couple of years. I’m not sure if there’s ever going to be perfection, I know you don’t expect that, of course. I don’t think you having a cold should be a reason not to show. The caregiver can wipe down common areas and door knobs etc… same as you can. I did that a lot. I had some discussions with caregivers personally to see what they were thinking, if they felt a good chemistry etc… That helped our working relationship for sure. We texted each other too, outside of the company. I’m still good friends with a couple of them.

Im very sorry this is so challenging. I think it comes with every other horrendously challenging thing associated with this dumb disease. I hope you can find a working solution soon.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks @mommyandme (m&m) I appreciate the reality check. Once I get another cup of coffee into my system, I'm going to have a nice chat with the agency scheduler.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more