Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Last Friday my world went sideways

2»

Comments

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So, so sorry you are having one thing on top of another. Try to rest well when you are able. We'll be watching this space for any updates.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My heart breaks for you. What a difficult road.

I send you love and positive thoughts as you walk through this hard stage.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 850
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Hello dear forum friends. Things are really happening fast. I visited him yesterday at the hospital and he was feeling much better. He was alert and talking and eating his meals. Later in the day, the sundowning started and he became confused and kept wanting to get up and go home. It was hard to leave him last night. The social worker called this morning about 9 o’clock and told me the MCF would be picking him up at about 10:30 to transport him the 10 miles to their facility. I knew it was going to happen but I didn’t know it was going to be today! I just stood there and shook for a good 10 minutes. I hadn’t gotten to the hospital because our sidewalk is icy. The MCF called an hour or so ago and told me he’d gotten there and was safe in his room. The nurse was checking him out. The weather is too bad for me to get out for the next couple days and maybe that’s a good thing. That will give him time to get settled in. At least I hope he can get settled in. As for me, I feel drained and tired, and relieved and sad all at the same time. I appreciate all of your prayers. Thank you so much. One bright spot is that our daughter is flying in tomorrow night and will be here until next Tuesday.

M1, I thought about having him evaluated for hospice and still may do that.

Brenda

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

Thanks for the update Brenda. What a roller coaster of emotions you've been on the last few days! I hope you can find some peace in knowing he is where he needs to be and glad your daughter will be with you soon. BTW, did they take him to a MC facility that you had previously chosen?

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 850
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Thank you, Caro_Lynne. Yes, he was able to go to the MC I had chosen for him. That was a relief. Right now I feel rather off-balance and kind of lost.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Brenda,

Even though your world seems upside down right now, there is some consolation to be found. Your family and friends are reliable and available; that’s a win. Your prior research into MCF’s served you well. Although placement was not on the table a week ago, it sounds as if your DH is being cared for by a competent and knowledgeable staff. Nothing is set in stone; DH may rebound and return home if that is your wish. Whatever is happening, take it one day at a time and use this opportunity to rest and restore your strength. We are all pulling for you.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

White Crane-

I’m so sorry! The suddenness of this challenge and your recent surgery seems too much to bear. I hope hospice is involved, especially if the hospital is not treating his pneumonia. And if they aren’t treating him It makes me wonder why he couldn’t come home on hospice. Perhaps, his doctors are looking out for you, too, having recently undergone surgery. You’d need round the clock help for him at home. Hospice, as wonderful as they are, come and go. Praying for both of you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more