Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

respite discussion with my spouse

I am going on a 8 day trip out of the country and want to have a positive conversation with my dementia spouse. Because he gets frightened at the thought of my leaving, and because he does not have a sense of time, I've decided to let him know about 4 days before I leave. What positive experiences/advise can you give me to make this conversation go okay? Also, what do I say to him at the time I leave for the airport? FYI, he will be at our home with a full time caregiver in my absence.
Tagged:

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello and welcome. I think you may have posted on the wrong board. If you are looking for input from caregivers you may want to post your question on the caregiver general topics board or the spouse board. I don't have any suggestions on how to have a discussion. My husband has progressed past being able to have a meaningful discussion. Good luck. And definitely enjoy the trip. Respite is important for you as a caregiver and also for your spouse so he has a rested and recharged wife.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more